cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malaysian Model To Be Caned For Drinking Beer

Not applicable

Re: Malaysian Model To Be Caned For Drinking Beer

From itsme:
I know that woman do enjoy a certain amount of equality with men which is not seen in other
Muslim countries.

That must be very nice for them I'm sure.
I know that these countries do vary in their treatment of women but until I see one that gives women equality and freedom then my opinions will stay the same. It seems to me that what they all have in common is that men reign supreme and call all the shots.
I wonder what the penalty would be for a man caught drinking a pint of beer? 
itsme
Grafter

The same, men have been caned and this woman will be the first.
VileReynard
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 14

It's actually rather difficult for them too Smiley
Malays are treated as Muslims - even if they're not.
Indians and Chinese are not treated as Muslims - they're just treated as inferior.
So they could probably drink if they wanted to - although
due to their cultural background, ethnic Chinese tend to drink tea - not beer.

itsme
Grafter

Another point worth mentioning is alcohol is freely available in most states. Not like other Muslim countries where it's effectively ban except for a few international hotels. The temptation for muslims to drink, and they do as there are no shortage of bars must be too much. Hence perhaps why the Islamic courts are enforcing their laws more strictly.
Sales of domestic lager dominate the beer environment in Malaysia due to the dominance of Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Bhd and Guinness Anchor Bhd. Imported beer is unable to achieve sustainable demand due to excise duty and import tax charges, which are very high, and thus they are hardly able to compete with domestic lager products.

http://www.euromonitor.com/Beer_in_Malaysia