cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malaysian Model To Be Caned For Drinking Beer

Community Veteran

Malaysian Model To Be Caned For Drinking Beer

How quaint.
A Muslim part-time model will be caned next week, becoming the first woman in Malaysia to be given the punishment under Islamic law, after she pleaded guilty to drinking beer, a prosecutor said Wednesday.
An Islamic court in July ordered that Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, 32, be lashed six times with a rattan cane after she was caught drinking alcohol in a raid on a hotel night club in eastern Pahang state last year.

CBS3 Article
18 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Malaysian Model To Be Caned For Drinking Beer

I gather that they're delaying the punishment until the end of the religious festival  - isn't she lucky?
I feel so sorry for these poor women who have to live under such a regime - it's medieval.  Cry
Community Veteran

I understand that there is not a problem with binge drinking teenagers at the weekends in Malaysia.
N/A

I wasn't thinking of the 'crime' of drinking alcohol but the way that women are treated by using laws that are made by men.
It really makes me angry  Angry  in a way that probably only a woman can understand.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

It's Islam as interpreted by those in power.
If you want to see some very nasty pictures of the whole operation, see http://DELETED
You may prefer not to - this site contains pictures (and videos) of a very unpleasant nature.
I haven't seen the videos.

N/A

I will decline to use the link. The 'men' responsible (and I use the term lightly because they are just nasty, evil bullies), will no doubt feel more powerful and invigorated after they have beaten the small body of a defenceless female. Anyone who watched last weeks Panorama will know exactly what I mean - it made me feel physically sick.
It is legalised abuse and nothing else. 
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

I agree - I've since deleted that link - it's just too graphic - shouldn't have included it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Pity,
I followed the link and until I saw that I didn't realise just how barbaric the practice was.
Community Veteran

They appear to be trying to be kind to the ladies
Saiful said the rattan cane to be used on Kartika would be lighter than the one used on men, and its purpose was to "educate" rather than punish.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

It's not a cane such as used to be used in schools in this country.
It's more like a kind of long flexible club.
The one for females is only a few inches shorter.
Apparently the law requires a medical before the clubbing.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Guy I used to work with was punished with 35 'lashes' after being found 'over the limit' driving in Saudi Arabia. (Home distilled booze)
The lashes were administered with a broom handle type lash, the person giving the lashes had a copy of the Koran under his armpit while the punishment was administered. So the arm couldn’t be lifted very far.
He also had to have a medical before the lashes were administered.
As he said afterwards, it wasn't the pain, it was the embarrasment of having 200-300 people watching.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

It will be a lot more brutal than that.
They want major bruising, broken skin etc

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
I will decline to use the link. The 'men' responsible (and I use the term lightly because they are just nasty, evil bullies), will no doubt feel more powerful and invigorated after they have beaten the small body of a defenceless female. Anyone who watched last weeks Panorama will know exactly what I mean - it made me feel physically sick.
It is legalised abuse and nothing else. 

Sorry but don't judge Malaysia with other Muslim countries. As someone that have been over there a few times for work I know that woman do enjoy a certain amount of equality with men which is not seen in other Muslim countries. The rattan cane in Malaysia is used frequently on man and this case supposedly if the sentance is carried out would be a first time a woman has been caned. I believe that she has taken the authorities by surprise by not appealing. This may be the reason that the sentence has been postponded so that she can be persuaded to appeal or a  get out by the authorities can be found.
The last time I was over there in 2005 the appeal of a man sentenced to a high number of strokes was coming to a conclusion after several years and appeals. He lost the appeal but was not caned because by that time he was over the age of 50. If the courts wanted to cane him they could have speeded the appeals up.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Malaysia is well known for the corruption of it's government, police and customs officers...

itsme
Grafter

Everytime I was over there it reminded me of UK history a hundred years ago.