Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

Malaysia Flight MH370 has likely to have crashed in the gulf of Thailand, however it has not be confirmed.
News is currently on BBC news and CNN
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
528 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Vietnamese military has confirmed that MH370 Flight crashed in the sea. However Malaysia airlines are declining to comment on this.
There was however a rumour the plane emergency landed in Nanming but this unlikely
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
nadger
Rising Star

BBC News are saying that there's an unconfirmed report of a very long oil slick in South China Sea.
Community Veteran

The Boeing 777 is an extremely safe plane. There has been one previous crash involving fatalities which was in San Fransisco in July last year when 3 people died.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
The Boeing 777 is an extremely safe plane. There has been one previous crash involving fatalities which was in San Fransisco in July last year when 3 people died.

Well.. it was however the recent spate of battery problems that could go up in smoke would suggest otherwise.
It was until then one of the safest planes in the world and was thought to be so safe it didn't have to undergo some of the trials of other planes before it was allowed to do long haul flights.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Different type of battery - the ones on the 777 aren't the same as the ones on the Dreamliner
Also http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26492748
The Boeing 777 had not had a fatal crash in its 20-year history until an Asiana plane came down at San Francisco airport in July of last year. Three teenage girls from China died in that incident.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

If it had crashed then it would be extremely likely to be in the South China Sea.
I wonder why no wreckage has been found yet. The Boeing 777 can fly on one engine for up to 3 hrs if there was an engine failure.  There has been a signal coming from the black box but no wreckage can be found.
My heart and thoughts go out to relatives who are in distress.
TORPC
Grafter

Our hearts got out to all those affected by this & hope they will all be located safe & well, as quickly as is possible
Community Veteran

Tragic Sad
I'm reading people asking "why can't they find it when they know where it was last heard from" - if you imagine a plane flying at 35,000 feet at 500+mph and then remove all power, possibly alter its aerodynamics then let it fall or descend  in a random manner then you have a vast search area to take into account.
Even the black boxes can be hard to locate - if they are under water, they have to rely on audio signals which while potentially easy to triangulate in good conditions can be a nightmare if there are audio reflections : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_locator_beacon
Thoughts are with all the families involved Sad
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Because despite claims otherwise long range radar is accurate to a 1 mile radius(short range is accurate to within milimeters) giving a far less accurate location system, although two way GPS is always accurate to within a few yards (75 at maximum) its not used on many plans....
the location of the wreckage would largely be down to the speed at which any  search & efforts were able to reach the target area, the actual debris field would likely be limited to a tiny area if the plane hit the water verticly, in deep water with multiple convergence zones this could also hamper attempts to locate the black box
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Oldjim
Different type of battery - the ones on the 777 aren't the same as the ones on the Dreamliner
Also http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26492748
The Boeing 777 had not had a fatal crash in its 20-year history until an Asiana plane came down at San Francisco airport in July of last year. Three teenage girls from China died in that incident.

Indeedy it appears you may be right as my second google only came up with the 787 this time in it's results not the 777 as it did earlier.
Even so it was still allowed to do long haul flights without the same tests that many of its predeccessors had to and you know how luck tends to mix with over confidence.
I feel for the families and loved ones who have lost someone on that flight, they must be going through hell.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Oil Slicks seen in vicinity of "crash site".....
Daily Telegraph 1 hour ago....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10684770/Oil-slick-spotted-in-sea-in-search-...
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up

Well.. it was however the recent spate of battery problems that could go up in smoke would suggest otherwise.
It was until then one of the safest planes in the world and was thought to be so safe it didn't have to undergo some of the trials of other planes before it was allowed to do long haul flights.

The battery problems were involving the 787 Dreamliner. All planes undergo rigorous testing before they are approved by the FAA.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: artmo
All planes undergo rigorous testing before they are approved by the FAA.
I must admit that I found the idea that the 777 didn't need to undergo the same rigorous tests as other planes unbelievable.
The only link I could find to confirm otherwise was
[quote=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#Production_and_testing]This marked the start of an 11-month flight test program that was more extensive than testing for any previous Boeing model.
But I never treat Wikipedia as gospel Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still