cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a Will

N/A

Making a Will

Sorry - another TV thread but with a topic that is surely worth the start of a new one.
Did anyone see 'Can't take it with you' on BBC2 last night?  It was introduced by Sir Gerry Robinson who I quite like. His easy, gentle manner made him perfect for this very sensitive subject.  Two families were examined - both with the same dilemma.  They were second marriages - the men had children by previous relationships (one biological and the other stepchildren) and the ladies did not have children.  The fathers wished to leave their estate to their respective children and the wives wished to leave theirs to charity.  It all got sorted in the end in good TV style but the process that they went through to reach their final decision was really interesting as they had to examine their feelings about each other and all the trust issues which come with that. 
It's a subject that many people do not want to talk about and the programme started by quoting the very high numbers in percentages, of people who die intestate. This can leave behind a nasty 'legacy' of feuding families.
For myself, I made a Will many many years ago when I was quite young and bought my first property.  Since then it has been renewed twice due to death in the family and change of circumstances.  It hasn't bothered me doing this - in fact the opposite is true, I feel more content in a way.
The programme is well worth watching and for anyone who has missed it and would like to have a look here is the link.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Making a Will

Yes I saw it. I couldn't believe that gold digging bitch who wanted her hubbys entire estate leaving his kids with nothing on the grounds that it would all go to charity when she died (yeah right). Then it transpires if she died before her parents she wanted it all to go to them and still leave his kids with nothing.
Selfish bitch wasn't she.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Lot of censored stuff there but I agree with you.
Programs like this really make you think about what other people think and feel (or more to the point don't feel)
Hard to understand whats wrong with people today (both male & female) If you don't have the right clothes, are the wrong height, or some other minor problem then you are not good enough for them.
Can't understand how these couples ever got married with one partner having an attitude like they had.
Have been short of money most of my life but it's one thing I have never argued with or fallen out about.
N/A

Yes, I thought that that particular woman's attitude to leaving estate to family was rather incongruous.  She was adamant that people should work for their money and not expect to inherit but was quite content to leave the lions share of their joint estate to her parents who, judging by her appearance, would probably be at least 70+ in age so might not be in a position to make good use of it.  Could not see any point in that at all. Also she was scathing about the step daughters as they 'only looked after the children' and did nothing else.  Looking after and raising a family (properly) is one of the hardest responsibilities that a person takes on and her lack of understanding was astonishing. 
What was interesting was people's entrenched views about family and charity. You could almost hear the venom in the cat woman's voice when she spoke of children in general and her husband's children in particular.  Couldn't help feeling that there was more to this.  Then there was the man who was going to be a trustee and was vehement about not leaving money to charity and the right of children/family to inherit.
Looking forward to the next episode which by the look of the trailer will be covering leaving estate to particular children and not sharing it out.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: poppy
Looking forward to the next episode

There's more? Oh good lord, I don't think I could hack seeing even more of our disfunctional society.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Poppy, I thought it was a very interesting programme and certainly highlighted a few problems that people face when making a will. Gerry Robinson presented the subject well as you said and I was also impressed with Sue Medder the legal eagle.
It was the first of 6 progs which are being shown on BBC2 Friday nights at 9pm.