cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Mobiles in Cars Illegal

Fixes: 47

Make Mobiles in Cars Illegal

I really think it should be made illegal to use a mobile phone in a car.
I have people coming up behind me chatting on a mobile and it scares me. I can see their concentration wandering and expect a rear end shunt.
Yesterday I flashed a woman person waiting to pull out of a side road I wished to enter and she they just sat there nattering on a phone. It took more flashing and the horn to get them to move Angry
Another 'person' went through a red light across in front of me...again on a mobile.
I could go on..... Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
55 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Make Mobiles in Cars Illegal

Yes, I agree, I cannot understand WHY these people do it.... They MUST know it is against the law, and will incur heavy penalties,
IF caught,
...... but that is the problem.... Catching the idiots.
I have my phone in my shirt pocket, but NEVER answer it whilst driving.... My missus is usually in the passenger seat, and retrieves it, to answer.
If I am on my own, then I try to remember to switch it off, before switching on the ignition.
itsme
Grafter

and children under the age of 10 years seating in the back. I assume that Strat's woman coming out of the side street was seen to be talking and the assumption was that she was using a hand's free system but was in fact talking to the children seating in the back. Personally I see little difference between using a hand's free or talking to a passenger seating beside me. I have driven 10's of miles without any recollection of the journey as I been talking to the passenge.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I presume you are referring to hands-free Strat? Using a mobile without hands-free is of course illegal. However, I agree that it's a menace that's not able to be policed properly, if at all. I do believe that one of the first things the police do nowadays in the event of an accident is to get a mobile phone log from the phone provider to show whether or not it was in use at the time.
You can, of course, still be done for driving without due care and attention even on hands-free.
Community Veteran

Why make the assumption they were "hands free"....?  I still see an average of 3 a day using a phone in the hand. At least "hands free" means they have (or should have) both hands on the steering wheel, and have more "control" of the vehicle, should the need arise.

In the cases cited and those I could list I have seen the phone at the person's ear.

Quote from: itsme
Strat's woman coming out of the side street

@itsme She wasn't my woman. I wouldn't have given her the time of day Wink Cheesy

Quote from: nozzer
I presume you are referring to hands-free Strat? Using a mobile without hands-free is of course illegal.

Well my friend you certainly could have fooled me Wink
@shutter Thanks for picking up on the 'tongue in cheek' aspect of my opening post. Smiley You obviously know me well Smiley
Community Veteran

Agreed, people improved their habits a couple of years back when the laws were first introduced and there was a TV campaign, but people have in the last few months reverted to just holding the phone again. Sad
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Why make the assumption they were "hands free"....?  I still see an average of 3 a day using a phone in the hand. At least "hands free" means they have (or should have) both hands on the steering wheel, and have more "control" of the vehicle, should the need arise.

Because it's already illegal otherwise... 
Essentially, the law made it an offence for someone to hold and operate a mobile phone in their hand while they are driving, or to use the device – even if it is in a cradle - for sending or receiving data, such as emails, texts or picture messages. The legislation therefore concerns driver behaviour and not equipment types, beyond hands-free kits, which escaped the ban.

I suppose my problem is I come from a 'pre mobile Telecom' generation.
These days it seems that if a mobile phone rings it HAS to be answered at all costs. I don't have that problem although I do carry my company provided mobile at all times.
Community Veteran

Equally problematic is the large number of pedestrians that wander about looking at their phone while walking into the path of oncoming vehicles.
Community Veteran

@ nozzer
So, by your last statement then...
.I must assume that "because it is illegal", the people I see every day, holding a phone to their ear, and talking whilst driving, must haveassumed it was legal, and I must have assumed that they were only "pretending" to use the mobile phone, but were in fact talking to the passengers in the back seat  (of the white van, the 35 tonne HGV, the "school transport" , and the bread delivery lorry. )
NO, I don`t think so......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Interesting point about hands free and talking to kids in the back. Your attention is generally drawn towards the direction of the person you are listening to, so you might be less likely to run in to the back of someone if you are talking to someone using a hands free fixed to the dashboard then if you were conversing with the kids in the back.
I think there should be a sound proof screen between the front and the back when carrying kids! Grin Grin Grin
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)

@nozzer and @itsme
Apologies for not making the tongue in cheek aspect of my opening post clearer. Embarrassed
We are fully aware that using a mobile phone in a vehicle is illegal as it has been discussed at length before.
Shutter picked up on it as he knows my posting style Smiley
It's just that it makes me so angry that the law is ignored and I can see the reason for the law on a daily basis.
Community Veteran

@Shutter
Nope, they know it's illegal and flout the law. I don't understand where you are coming from.   Huh
I am saying, in response to Strat's heading "Make Mobiles in cars Illegal",  that they already are, and I agree that far too many people either aren't aware of this or are deliberately ignoring it.