cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maiden Flight

Community Veteran

Maiden Flight

The Airbus A350 had its maiden flight in France today.  This is the Airbus competitor to the Boeing Dreamliner.
Airbus A350
This is good news for jobs in the UK.  The engines are built by Rolls Royce in Derby and the wings at Bristol
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Maiden Flight

I remember working on the early RB211's (45 years ago!  Crazy before RR went bust) and they were massive at IIRC about 7 feet fan diameter (I could easily stand inside the intake duct).
But the new Trent XWB (developed from the RB211) that the A350 uses is immense - 3m diameter! And about twice the power of course, but much more efficient.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Airbus 389/800

Airbus 330 

Airbus 340

And if you really really really want to fly on a budget airline.... remember this short film before you book.......
; Shocked Shocked Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: HPsauce
I remember working on the early RB211's (45 years ago!

Was that the time when RR discovered a little problem with the fan blades, like disintegrating in the rain?  Lips are sealed  A mate of mine was an apprentice there.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

It will be interesting to see how it compares with the Dreamliner. It is expected to receive orders at the Paris Air fair this week.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair

Was that the time when RR discovered a little problem with the fan blades, like disintegrating in the rain? 

Incident I remember was a bit more recent
Community Veteran

My uncle designs the fuel systems for Airbus planes Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
This is good news for jobs in the UK. 

Without a doubt yes it is and I'm always glad to hear of new developments in engineering etc.
What it isn't good news for however is our climate and the pollution thats affecting it. Has no-one else noticed this is the 3rd summer in a row thats gone to the flusher? We have the busiest airspace in the world and our weather is becoming more and more extreme. The last proper summer we had was 2010 - scorching every day (though 2009 was a bit iffy). The last two were a washout and this one is following suit too.
I love aircraft and find turbines fascinating (along with all sorts of other engineering and tech) yet I'm very worried about our climate being messed up by them - the grey cloudy days are frustrating.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The climate isn't only changing here.  Friends in Spain and America report similar issues.
Community Veteran

Both of which also have very heavy airspace usage too. It's a worrying trend if you ask me.
I don't know about anyone else but I miss summer!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite

I love aircraft and find turbines fascinating (along with all sorts of other engineering and tech) yet I'm very worried about our climate being messed up by them - the grey cloudy days are frustrating.

Sprite, is this you then?  I came across it when research the RB211 and why RR had to suddenly change tack on Carbon Fibre.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Shocked I wish lol.
They are incredible bits of engineering and I am fascinated by them. I'm shocked though that someone could buy one and have it in their garden yet alone restore it and then run it up burning fuel  Shocked
Community Veteran

It has been announced the A350 supports 6000 jobs in the UK so I hope it's going to be a successful plane.  It's a little behind the Dreamliner in launch but the Dreamliner had a number of problems which may help the sales of the A350.
Fixes: 47

I think it was referring to the A350's engine that the clearance between the end of the blade and the housing it rotated in was very small to increase efficiency.
I used to work closely with a creep testing laboratory where turbine blades were manufactured out of titanium alloy so the creep on those blades must be very closely speced.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I used to work closely with a creep testing laboratory where turbine blades were manufactured

What did you do for a living strat? - I'm guessing you were in a technical discipline as you also mentioned eyeing up the GPIO on your pi the other day.
I'm curious as you seem very knowledgeable about many tech things  Smiley