cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magnum...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Magnum...

I like Walls Magnums Just the standard one...well the all chocolate one goes down well as well. But, who actually makes it?
I was in our local Turkish run chippy the other day (very good they are too) their TV was on showing a Turkish prog, I was mildly surprised to find during the ads (I do like watching foreign ads even if I can't understand what they're on about!!) an ad for a Magnum that looked identical to the Walls we know but under a completely different manufacturers name (don't ask me to pronounce it)
I've also seen Magnum look-a-likes in New Zealand and Spain. They taste pretty much the same, but I contend the Walls one we have here doesn't actually taste like Walls ice-cream (rather nicer actually and smoother)
So I ask again, who really does make Magnums?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Magnum...

International brand:- think it's part of Unilever's Heartbrand global ice cream business
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall's_(ice_cream)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Walls, probably "franchises" out to local ice cream makers in other countries to make their products, and use a "local" name.....
Perhaps "Magnum" in turkish means dog poo or something equally as bad, so they have to change the name to a locally acceptable one !...
Community Veteran

Probably Algida in Turkey, that's the local Unilever brand name.
Same in Greece as it happens which I do know for sure (and several other countries).
alanb
Grafter

The big food conglomerates take over brands in different countries. Often they put their own branding on the products of the company they have taken over. Sometimes though, if the local brand is a popular and trusted one, they will put the local brand on their international products. For example Walkers crisps are sold in many countries, but in some parts of the continent they they are sold under the Lays brand. The packets look just like the Walkers livery, but the logo says Lays instead of Walkers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@shutter, it is still "Magnum" in Turkey, only the makers name is different.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I love Kit Kat.  In the US they are made by Hershey's.  They look similar and the wrapper is also similar but unfortunately the bar doesn't taste the same.  The Americans have a different chocolate coating.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I think this is like the Vauxhall = Opel thing. Same company under different names. A lot of companies now trade under various different names. Truth be told a lot of things these days are made by one company and then branded up for the companies who claim to make them.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Well, the Vauxhall Nova was never going to be a great success in Spain!
VW Polo probably wasn't a great name either (I believe they used to call it the Audi 50).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

I thought you meant this one....
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There are other Magnums, but Strat might pounce.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

Go on..give one of them a mention.
No good going off half cocked Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Clearly the most significant is: http://www.magnumphotos.com/