cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made in China, stays in China

Lægen
Aspiring Pro

Made in China, stays in China

For the foreseeable future, personally we will not be making any purchases of items that come from China.

It may cost a bit more, but for safety sake, and to send a message, no way Hosé...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8163767/Downing-Street-says-China-faces-reckoning-coronavir...

And to send a message locally, Chinese takeaway, or restaurant. Nope

Huawei... No Way

43 REPLIES 43
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Made in China, stays in China

Given the majority of products come from China, it'll be difficult for anyone to stop any goods from there making their way here... 🤣

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lægen 

Typical Daily Mail knee jerk racism, which sadly will be supported by crypto fascists across the country.

Should you be unfortunate enough to need urgent medical treatment, I trust you will refuse help from any nurse, doctor or paramedic if they are of Chinese origin? You know, just to ‘drive your message’ home.

Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

I won't be wasting my time reading a 💩ty DM article but I have to agree with @Anonymous Shocked

dvorak
Fixes: 1,182

So you're happy to ignore all the human rights abuse etc. that have been happening for centuries - but as soon as something directly impacts you start throwing a hissy fit?

Pathetic.

And really not sure what it's got to do you with your chinese take away?

Are you also stopping eating pasta as that originated in China too.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Lægen
Aspiring Pro

Contentious... he say....

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

Ignorance more like...

Mook
Champion

@dvorak wrote:

So you're happy to ignore all the human rights abuse etc.

@dvorak - Who is the you, you are referring to?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Anonymous wrote:

crypto fascists across the country.

Can you explain to me....and no doubt some others.... what.... a "crypto fascist" is... Please.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

There are many things in life we turn a blind eye to until it affects us personally and then we make a fuss about it and ask how could that happen.

For example how many people really bother about the state of the health service until they need it and suddenly find they or their relatives could be waiting hours in A&E before being seen or spending hours on trolleys due to no beds and some with cancer or similar things waiting for months for treatment.....and this was long before this virus appeared.

How many bother about lack of schools until they find their children have to travel miles to school as the local one is full or even closed.

Same with the government changing pension rules or banks ripping people off, how many really care and want something done about it if it does not affect them in any way....ok a few but not many.

Comes down to my first sentence if it doesn’t affect me directly I might feel for those affected but actually doing something that’s a different matter.

As for this virus, that affects us all either personally or those close to us and that’s why so many have volunteered their services.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Mook
Champion

@shutter From the 'all knowing' site that is Wikipedia:

Crypto-fascism is the secret support for, or admiration of, fascism. The term is used to imply that an individual or group keeps this support or admiration hidden to avoid political persecution or political suicide. The common usage is "crypto-fascist", one who practices this support.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Mook  Thanks for the response .... though I still don`t see what relevance it has to the DM  report... 

perhaps it is one of those   "... ooh !... that sounds good " phrases..  ( often repeated ) ... Roll_eyes   that people like to use, to impress others with...  !Cool_smiley

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Avoiding stuff made in China is as hard as avoiding Covid-19 - which was also made in China and shipped as a free sample to the rest of the world.  When the truth comes out about a release ( deliberate or just due to sloppy bio-security ) from the Wuhan virology laboratory I guess it will give people even more reason to avoid Chinese stuff - I have been avoiding stuff made in China for decades,  but sometimes stuff has a Union flag on it and in smallest possible print 'designed in UK.  made in PRC'.... and parts in pretty much everything you can buy are made in China due to companies in west going for cheapest production cost and maximum profit ( Apple anyone ? ) or exporting their carbon footprint to China because of carbon taxes in west driving manufacturing companies out of business here.  Trump is 100% correct to take manufacturing back to USA,  you do not want your enemy making stuff and you giving them both the money and technology to make it.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

So Trump, a profit-centric businessman (supposedly), wants all manufacturing back in the US of A, where unions and greedy workers pushed up manufacturing costs which drove profit-centric businessmen to move their manufacturing to cheaper countries to make sure they kept profiting utilising cheap labour no matter the cost to life? Yeah, that'll go down well.............. 🤔

billnotben
Community Veteran

Some products that had their country of origin proudly emblazoned on them are now seeing a downside to this. A large Pound Stretcher store near me had pretty much all of its various toiletries sold. But has plenty of sweets, biscuits, tea, coffees etc.

On the long biscuit shelves the piles are half height except there in the middle a couple of large piles remain untouched. Could it have something do with "Italian Biscuits" written all over them in large letters?

Of course if that sort of thing bothers you when you next buy cleaning products look at the box they came in. On the box of what I had thought was a good British product "Palmolive". One side which caught my eye "Achtung" and the other side "Made in Italy".