cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made from concentrate

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Made from concentrate

What does that mean?  I have seen it on packs of Orange Juice.. and presume it means that it is made from `literally` tons and tons of oranges squashed to pulp, then strained until suitable for drinking...
however, I have just seen an advert on telly, for Muller "Pud"... which is 75% skimmed milk made from concentrate...
can`t imagine the Muller factory pulverising tons of cows .....  Shocked so how/what does "made from concentrate" mean.... is it a good thing for us, as consumers, or just for the manufacturers, as a "get out" for something they think they might get sued for, and by having "made from concentrate" on the packet/packaging.... they can use the defence of.... "we do inform our consumers about this....... "
10 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Made from concentrate

I used to buy 'Pure Apple Juice' which was made from concentrate.
As I understood it the apple juice had as much water extracted from it as possible in some foreign place.
It was then shipped to the UK and water added back in prior to packing.
I used to wonder what the 'super concentrate' tasted like.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

I bought an orange, put it in a glass and concentrated... hard. But nothing happened: no juice at all Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ Mav..... probably because of this.......http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138939.msg1224625.html#msg1224625
and my reply..... this.... http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138939.msg1224626.html#msg1224626
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Mav
I bought an orange, put it in a glass and concentrated... hard. But nothing happened: no juice at all Cheesy

Possibly this problem: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138738.0.html ?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I need my eyes tested... I read the thread title as "made from concrete" and was expecting pictures of tall buildings etc...  Shocked
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

concentrates are made from pulverised product evaporated to around a tenth of their volume for ease of transport.  apples get picked, chucked in the chopper-upper, squeezed, strained and boiled.  i used to buy the stuff in gallon containers and it would last a year.  every bit as good as fresh.
Marksfish
Grafter

There was an article on this on BBC Breakfast a few weeks ago. As above, the water content is mostly removed. This means that more product can be put in a tanker for transportation purposes, which makes it cheaper for the business to buy in. The business will then re- hydrate it before sale. This is why "made from concentrate" products are usually cheaper than no concentrate products.
Mark
Fixes: 125

This may be obvious to some but how do they re-hydrate? Do they simply use tap water?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Marksfish
Grafter

They will use filtered water of some sort, plus add any "extras" that they deem necessary at the time. (extra vitamins, etc)
Mark
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I remember visiting a drinks factory on a school trip, and they showed us the process of turning concentrated syrups into the end product, well, we saw the big mixing tanks, didn't get to see what was going on inside, but it pretty much is add water and additives, sterilise and pack, even got some fresh off the line samples which were still warm... Grin
Also went to the Walkers factory in Peterlee too, that seemingly endless conveyor of fresh out of the fryer crisps was so tasty looking (shame the smell in the place was pretty foul, the smell of hot oil and rotten potatoes, yuck!!), but they weren't using concentrated potato juice for that... Grin