cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macros.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Macros.

There is an interesting page for macros in the user settings of this forum. Helpfully however there is absolutely no instructions on what this is or how to use it.

So.. any ideas?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
18 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Re: Macros.

Try entering a title and some text for a macro and save it. Then do a reply and you'll find a Macros button has appeared next to the Quote button.

Make sure the cursor is in the reply text box (it's a "design feature" that it might not be); then click Macros, choose one and the text you entered will appear in your post. Cheesy

David
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Testing..

Oh yeah i see now... oh thats boring! I thought it was going to let us run code on the server and hack the pentagon by proxy or something lol. All it does is insert a bit of text.... how boring lol.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Testing...

What a load of rubbish!

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

I can see a good use for the feature for PN Help; Mods; Bright Sparks etc where there is an ongoing requirement to enter the same text in multiple responses, but I'd be surprised if the average User will ever get around to using it?

E.G.

This is a dummy response text to a User query pointing to some suitable help. This is a test of inserting a URL using a Macro
https://community.plus.net/

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Indeed. You can be quite clever with it too (styling courtesy of @townman):

Sorry to hear you're having problems Sad

That 552 error message is typically caused by our outbound spam filters not liking either the sender (from) address, recipient (to) address, or something in the body or signature of the email itself - commonly an email address, website address or hyperlink that it considers to be 'spammy' or malicious.

To help improve the accuracy of our spam filtering, it helps if you can report this message to us by following the steps below.

1. Try sending the message using Webmail (it will fail):

2. Save the message as a draft:

3. Click to go back to your message list:

4. Click the Drafts folder on the left, highlight the email by left-clicking once, then hold left-click and 'drag' the email across to the Junk folder. Let go of the left mouse button once the Junk folder is highlighted:

5. Click the Junk folder on the left, highlight the email as before and then click the 'This message is not spam' button to report the message to us. The message will get moved to your inbox as part of this process:

Wait a short while and try sending the message again. If you're still having difficulties then you will need to contact our Support Team. When doing so, please have ready a brief description of the problem along with the following information:

• Email address you're sending from
      • Email address you're sending to
      • Content of the email (if it's convenient to share)
      • A *full* copy of the rejection message, including the string of characters that's returned e.g. in the example above this would be 'bpq31s0064CLSd801pq4z4'.

If you've tried the above and are still experiencing problems then feel free to drop me a private message using the link below. If you message me directly, you will need to provide a *full* copy of the email you're trying to send including headers. You can obtain this by sending the email to a non-Plusnet email address. Instructions on how to view the full headers of the received email can be seen here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Or indeed...

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below. Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router! Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

What did you do to create the buttons in the macros?

Is there a shortcut or do I just the lift the quicklinks CSS code from the browser's inspect function and customise to suit?

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Type the following into the HTML tab; <edit> Obviously I copied this from @townman !!!

<div style="background: #EDF3F5; padding: 10px; border: 2px solid #CFD8DC; border-radius: 10px; box-shadow: 8px 8px 7px #676D70;">
<p>Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below. Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router! Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.</p>
<div class="quicklinks">
<ul style="width: 100%;">
<li style="margin-bottom: 3px;"><a class="pn-button-pop" style="text-decoration: none; color: white; font-size: 14px; padding: 6px;" title="Router Stats - TG582n:
xDSL line stats - you will need to log into the router" href="http://tinyurl.com/oftwae5" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">TG582n Stats</a></li>
<li style="margin-bottom: 3px;"><a class="pn-button-pop" style="text-decoration: none; color: white; font-size: 14px; padding: 6px;" title="Router Stats - 2704n:
xDSL line stats - you will need to log into the router" href="http://tinyurl.com/o4mv88w" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">2704n Stats</a></li>
<li style="margin-bottom: 3px;"><a class="pn-button-pop" style="text-decoration: none; color: white; font-size: 14px; padding: 6px;" title="External resource:
BT Wholesale line speed test and diagnostics" href="http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">BTw Speedtest</a></li>
<li style="margin-bottom: 3px;"><a class="pn-button-pop" style="text-decoration: none; color: white; font-size: 14px; padding: 6px;" title="PlusNet (hidden) resource:
Current line speed (aka PN profile)" href="http://tinyurl.com/bugfrvf" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">PN Profile</a></li>
</ul>
</div>
</div>

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

Yes that was the code I was talking about.

The reason why I asked if there was a cleaner way, is that if/when Plusnet change their CSS then that code may break. And I didn't want to be blamed for leaving historical posts in a bad waWink

But if that is the only way to go then I will use it.

Superuser
Superuser

You shouldn't affect any stored data - Stylish just overrides the CSS on your system.

M

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

@MauriceC

That code to create buttons is not from Stylish but is actual Plusnet/Lithium code which is why I'm questioning using it in either forum macros or forum signatures. 

I know that Stylist/Stylish (both addons work the same) just affects my PC, I'm using it to modify the forum to my liking currently.

Superuser
Superuser

A word of caution!

Just read this on the Stylish Forum.  It may soon be 'Game over'   I hope not.

Maurice

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@SpendLessTime - If you are using class names / styles derived from Plusnet sources then in theory there is nothing to worry about, as if or when they change the style definition it would get propagated to your code as well.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Using the PlusNet style hooks also means that the maro generated content is moderately responsive to the viewport.  If you look at my macro generate content on a smart phone, the buttons automatically align to three or  two columns.