Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN Messenger is dead - long live Messenger

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

MSN Messenger is dead - long live Messenger

Earlier today this was posted:
Quote from: petecov44
Jelv is funny, he has a dig at you and still has a MSN messenger link.. the service which has been dead a long time.
He clearly does not understand that when a service dies there is no point using it. Yet he accuses you of the same (oh and before he starts it goes no where either)

Given that Microsoft announced that Messenger was to be closed down it's quite understandable if people had the impression that this had actually happened.
What actually happened was people were invited to transfer their accounts in to Skype using their old MSN address which is what I did. We were able to exchange instant messages with both Messenger and Skype users. We were told that Messenger itself would stop working. Well the date for that has been and gone and people are still using Messenger. In fact a short time ago I exchanged messages with another member of these forums who is still using messenger.
I had hoped that petecov44 would acknowledge the updated information (I don't blame him for thinking Messenger was dead given the public information given out by Microsoft) and apologise for what was clearly a personal attack. I sent him a PM inviting him to do so. He responded negatively (I'll not post either PM here as that would break the rules) and knowing that I wouldn't be happy with his response has blocked further PMs from myself.
The request for an apology for the personal attack still stands.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
3 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser

Re: MSN Messenger is dead - long live Messenger

I agree.  Messenger is still in use for some things I do.  If and when it fails, I'll agree an alternative and move on.
M
Community Veteran

Update:
In spite of me giving him a way out by confirming he had been misled by the information published by Microsoft he is still refusing to retract and apologise.
In fact he has sent me another abusive PM.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Admittedly I heard moons ago that it was being shut down (MSN email I think) and so I also stopped using MSN messenger. Shame really as it was far more reliable than skype and yahoo. Skype is a pile of dung for reliability and stable connections.
That reminds me, does skype now follow suit in msn style of allowing msn<->yahoo connectivity?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!