cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPs to Get Salary Increase

Community Veteran

MPs to Get Salary Increase

It is expected that MPs will receive a pay rise taking their salaries to £74,000.  How can this be justified when most people are asked to take 1% increases?
MPs' salaries
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: MPs to Get Salary Increase

Boy is this one going to be a hot potato!!
I'd be interested to see how independent the "independent" remuneration committee actually is.
Appalling bad timing. But won't the MP's look magnanimous if they make a show of turning down or at the very least deferring the increase.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think you all can guess my views so I shall leave it there lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Probably as well otherwise you would really have fallen foul of the swear filter  Lips are sealed
randpwar
Grafter

I suppose there is an argument that if you pay MP’s a very good salary that they are less likely to take bribes / commit corruption…………okay, I’ll get my coat  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Oldjim
Probably as well otherwise you would really have fallen foul of the swear filter  Lips are sealed

Me? Never  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

That Lib Dem fellah from Sheffield says he's not taking it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

If the rise is eventually given then it will not be until after the next election.  Can you imagine any MP accepting the rise and then going out campaigning for reelection.  Undecided
I should make it clear I think the MPs deserve a rise but not at this time. Their present salary is not high but any increase should be looked at alongside their expenses etc.
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Perhaps, as with many jobs their pay rise should be performance related. As it stands today it won't cost us taxpayers anything !  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Current Basic Annual Salary for MPs is £66396 compared with the National Average for 2012 of £26664
I think they're well enough paid - after all they're supposed to represent the people, not just the high earners.
sources:
http://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/members/pay-mps/
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-2269520/Best-paid-jobs-2012-Official-figures-national-ave...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

They look at comparable jobs in the private sector and find higher salaries and set those as a target.
I would suggest those private sector salaries are too high not the MPs salaries are too low.
The economy is not about to make a dramatic recovery between now and the next election so restraints will still need to be in place for everyone including MPs.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I think the MPs' salaries are compared to civil service grades is I remember correctly.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I should make it clear I think the MPs deserve a rise but not at this time. Their present salary is not high but any increase should be looked at alongside their expenses etc.

It would appear that it has been, plus pensions, "redundancy" packages etc.
Though don't expect many "pundits" to look at it all in the round and give a balanced view reporting what is to go down as well as what is to go up.  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

Quote from: w23
Current Basic Annual Salary for MPs is £66396 compared with the National Average for 2012 of £26664

What would be an interesting idea would be to link it to average salaries of everyone working OR SEEKING WORK.
So they would reflect more of an overall national average earned income (similar to GDP per head maybe) including those who earn nothing.
That way the impoverished status of those who cannot get work would also be reflected; an incentive to politicians to run an economy for the good of everyone?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: HPsauce
...politicians to run an economy for the good of everyone?

Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin  Lips are sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.