cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPs put BT in the grinder

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

MPs put BT in the grinder

The MP select committee are highly critical of BT's lack of investment in infrastructure http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36832505

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
28 REPLIES
sullys666
Grafter

Re: MPs put BT in the grinder

Could explain why many of us get such poor speeds, even if they are within "estimates"

I am almost 3Mbps down on what I was getting with my old ISP BE and have been told by visiting BT engineers that I should be grateful for what I'm getting.

Well  I' M NOT, especially when Plusnet are again putting their prices up.

It really makes me wonder whether they want to keep their customers Angry

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@sullys666 It matters not, which ISP, you are with, when prices go up... it is down to whoever controls the major point of supply of infrastructure, .

Look at it in the world of Petrol Stations...  You see one selling it for £1.15 a ltr and another for £1.13.9 a ltr... they both get the fuel from the same depot, and it all comes from the same refineries.  you can easily switch to the lower charge, but it too, will increase its prices as the market ( oil companies ) decide to increase the prices to ALL suppliers to the retail market.. 

Price hiking is a fact of life, and it is not that companies want to drive customers away by increasing their prices. they too, have to maintain profit margins to be able to continue to supply..

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Splitting off surely would need OR coming to the market, as, if  ownership of the majority of the shares is still with BT in its many forms, nothing much is likely to change. Perhaps the other principal suppliers should have to acquire a substantial assessed stake (at full value!) in OR's successor i.e. put money where mouths are.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Let's hope these MP , force BT to improve or get fined !!!

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

@sullys666

And the price increase by your ISP has nothing to do with Openreach whose prices are fixed by OFCOM. In fact, for several years now, the Openreach prices have been decreasing while all the ISPs' have been upping the price.

So Openreach gets less money every year for supplying the same product!

How can a business run properly when it is massively hindered by the regulator? Why would it invest when the regulator is not going to allow it to make a profitable return on new investments? Especially as the new technologies (the internet stuff) have to be replaced very quickly as it becomes obsolete within a few years.

And why don't OFCOM and the MPs' make Virgin open their network to competitors and limit their prices. After all competition is good isn't it?

BTW I have zero links to any of these organisations, but I do know that the MPs' are talking rubbish and trying to ruin a working situation which they have always made worse by their meddling.

Minivanman
Hero

BT have been getting away with this for far to long, why?

They need a kick up the derrière methinks. Disgraceful, utterly disgraceful.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

AlaricAdair wrote:

The MP select committee are highly critical of BT's lack of investment in infrastructure http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36832505

Funny that it's like the pot calling the kettle black. Our roads infrastructure is crumbling and unlike a few wires roads carry food, medical supplies, fuel, goods etc. 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Don't forget, "a few wires" order the food, medical supplies, fuel, goods, etc., too, everything needs proper maintenance, from the telecommunications to transportation... Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

My immediate thought as well! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

SpendLessTime wrote:

... Why would it invest when the regulator is not going to allow it to make a profitable return on new investments? Especially as the new technologies (the internet stuff) have to be replaced very quickly as it becomes obsolete within a few years...

OpenReach earns a healthy profit for the media company called BT.  Their current investments in the hybrid fibre/copper technology called FTTC is precisely one of those technologies which will "have to be very quickly replaced as it becomes obsolete" This was chosen to protect BT's short term profits.rather than a long term investment in pre fibre.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

Don't forget, "a few wires" order the food, medical supplies, fuel, goods, etc., too, everything needs proper maintenance, from the telecommunications to transportation... Smiley

True but we used to cope well before the internet and fibre optic cables. The real reason people are slamming BT is because they want faster connections at home for media, gaming etc. Sure there's probably some businesses kicking up a bit of a stink too but lets face it, the internet is not critical for survival. It makes it a lot easier but it's not critical.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's about evolution, yes in a post-apocalyptic survival situation, internet access is a bit unnecessary, but, we're not in such a situation, as a species we're evolving to be more reliant on technology to deliver things we need and want, be it medical care (prescriptions by email, for example), food (online shopping), water (online billing for your local water supplier), shelter (online house-hunting tools), entertainment (take your pick), and so-on, so having a reliable, fast and non-clogged up internet supply is pretty vital for the future, but as it stands, the technology we have today should have been implemented a long time ago, and the FTTP should already be a major player in internet access by now, hell, Canada's way ahead of us in that respect and they have half the population ( so less money in the pot) and a much bigger landmass (so more costs) to cover with fibre-op!!

We're lagging behind pretty badly...

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

It's about evolution, yes in a post-apocalyptic survival situation, internet access is a bit unnecessary

My point remains: We need roads in order to move every day ESSENTIALS around.

The government taking a poke at BT when it can't even get its own house in order is quite frankly a P take.

Minivanman
Hero

So we can only criticize in a perfect world. How does that work then?