cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPs grant powers to close local hospitals

TORPC
Grafter

MPs grant powers to close local hospitals

[quote= http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26531807]MPs have voted through a controversial measure that gives England's health secretary powers to close local hospitals, even if they are performing well.
Clause 119 in the Care Bill allows a hospital to be closed or downgraded if a neighbouring trust is struggling financially.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: MPs grant powers to close local hospitals

A total disgrace.
I hope all the tory supporters are proud!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What the Gov't inspector wanted to do in the Lewisham Hospital was to rob one Hospital Trust (Lewisham) to fund an adjacent  Trust which has been serially failing to manage its budgets for the past 15-20 years. The courts told the Gov't it was not legal, so now the Government is changing the law. It would be far better if the Gov't fixed the management of the failing Trust. As Andrew Lansley's crazy scheme to hand the purse strings of Primary Care to private partnerships (GP Practices) the funding situation will only get worse.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

'NHS safe in my hands.'  David Cameron, 2006.
'NHS is only safe with us.'  David Cameron, 2010.
'NHS is safe in our hands.'  Davis Cameron 2011.
Angry

TORPC
Grafter

The likes of Davis Cameron et al, are always full of the smelly stuff that farmers use, via their spreaders to their fields
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Hi All
From 38 Degrees
Dear
Over the last week 38 Degrees members have been voting to decide our next move on the campaign to
protect our hospitals. Together we've decided to throw everything at stopping the hospital closure
clause - to keep our hospitals safe.
The hospital closure clause is not law yet. It returns to the House of Lords on 7th May. It's
going to be difficult to persuade enough Lords to support it. Especially because peers aren't
elected by voters, so our usual people-powered tactics don't work.
But, we've got an ambitious plan. Baroness Finlay, an influential doctor and crossbench peer has
agreed to lead the charge in the House of Lords. She's putting forward changes to the law that
make sure that decisions about closing hospitals will only be made in the best interest of
patients.  Now we need to get enough Lords to support the amendment.
So here's the plan:
- We deliver a briefing backed by legal heavyweights to every single member of the House of Lords
making the case for them to support the amendment
- We put on expert face-to-face briefings to persuade Lords to back Baroness Finlay's amendment
- Lots of 38 Degrees members have personal relationships with members of the House of Lords. We
ask those of us who do know members of the House of Lords to get in touch with them and ask them
to support the Finlay amendment
- The staff team will also get in touch with Lords we've worked with before to do one-on-one
briefings
But to do this, we need the money to make it possible. Can you help by chipping in a few pounds to
make this plan a reality? Click here to make a secure donation now:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/HCC-Lords
The money you donate will go towards:
- producing a glossy, informative and persuasive briefing paper which the office team will send to
every single member of the House of Lords
- putting on a face-to-face briefing, getting top lawyers and hospital campaigners along to
persuade sceptical Lords to back the amendment
38 Degrees is funded by small donations by hundreds of thousands of us. Sometimes 38 Degrees
members come together to pay for tactics like this to give us our best chance of winning, which
otherwise we couldn't afford.
We've got less than a month to convince as many Lords as possible to back an amendment which does
as much as possible to keep our hospitals free from danger. So, together let's roll up our sleeves
and get stuck in.
Please make a secure donation below:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/HCC-Lords

Thanks for being involved,
Becky, Rachel, Ian, Maddy and the rest of the 38 Degrees team
Community Veteran

Ah the Government has reached that stage in its "life" where it feels it can ignore the electorate. Blair/Brown's lot did the same thing with national Id cards. Power corrupts.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: cyrilclark1
'NHS safe in my hands.'  David Cameron, 2006.
'NHS is only safe with us.'  David Cameron, 2010.
'NHS is safe in our hands.'  Davis Cameron 2011.

And it is. Many of us have good service from the NHS.  If you think Labour would do better look at what they are doing in Wales.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
look at what they are doing in Wales.

Care to elaborate cos I for one ain't got a clue!
Community Veteran

Community Veteran

Oh yikes they're going through the mill aren't they?!