MPs give green light to online firms that spy on your personal data

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

MPs give green light to online firms that spy on your personal data

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="The Daily Mail"]
MPs give green light to online firms that spy on your personal data from mobile apps and social networks to show you targeted ads
Details collected range from browsing history to diet and sexual orientation.
Web browsers, apps, online services and fitness gadgets all leak data.
Campaigners warn that individuals are losing control of their private lives.
MPs have given the green light to companies who make money by harvesting personal data from internet connected gadgets, prompting disquiet over Parliament's commitment to protecting consumer rights.
A Commons committee dismissed privacy concerns to back advertising based targeted according to a wealth of personal details gleaned from smartphone apps, social networks and internet connections.
Such details can include users' physical location, Facebook likes and web browsing history, as well as any data shared with an app or online service, which may include anything from diet to sexual activity.
Buried deep in a report to Parliament, the The Commons Culture, Media and Sport committee noted: 'Increasing use is being made of personal data to target online advertising better.
'While concerns around this have prompted reviews of data protection legislation, we do not think the targeting of appropriate advertising —essential to so many business models — represents the greatest threat to privacy.'
But campaigners warn that individuals are losing control of their personal lives and that once this information is collected there is little way of knowing how it will be used.
Read More Here

And more on it
[quote="Open Rights Group"]
Culture Committee copyright report one-sided and simplistic
This morning the Culture, Media and Sport Committee published its report into how to support the creative industries. While it is a wide-ranging report, on copyright reform there is plenty to be disappointed about.
Today the Culture, Media and Sport Committee published a report called 'Supporting the creative economy.' (pdf version) Jim and I gave oral evidence to the Committee in January, and submitted written evidence last year.
Overall the Committee's report is a fairly disappointing and unimaginative piece of work. They offer a view of copyright that is too simplistic, one-sided and which effectively tries to reduce the debate to whether you like the creative industries or not. They thus ignore the wider impact of new technology on citizens as creators and participants in culture, and on how markets for cultural goods can now function most effectively.
From our initial look over the report, here's a few of our more specific concerns and thoughts on the report.
Carelessness with privacy concerns
We were surprised to see the Committee dismiss the privacy concerns around targeted advertising, saying:
“The Advertising Association’s evidence goes on to express deep concern about draft EU Data Protection Regulation “which could damage direct marketing, internet advertising, and the UK economy both off and online”. Increasing use is being made of personal data to target online advertising better. While concerns around this have prompted reviews of data protection legislation, we do not think the targeting of appropriate advertising—essential to so many business models — represents the greatest threat to privacy.”
Read More Here

Angry  Angry  Angry
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: MPs give green light to online firms that spy on your personal data

Bum!  Angry
Geoff,
York.
Dmitchell
Grafter

This is shocking Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well at least my financial details will still be safe Wink
Seriously, while I'll admit tracking is still pretty crap, it's only for adverts and it doesn't make you personally identifiable does it. This is the whole cookie paranoia all over again. No-one ever got their bank account hacked from a cookie, no-one had their address found via a cookie, no-one has really suffered much from a cookie at all to be honest - unless a valuable cookie was stolen on a public wifi hotspot (eg for your email) but even then it's not a tracking cookie, it's a targetted attack.
To be honest, I'm getting a bit fed up with all this nonsense. Tracking has been in use for years yet only recently the EU took measures against cookies and now every other ****ing website has a nag screen asking you to accept cookies - a PITA.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

The amount of personal data about an individual already out there makes a bit more slightly irrelevant to me.
Your mother probably started handing out personal data about you before you were even born and after you were born...well...the sky's the limit.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Just read this over coffee from the NY Times.
Data Collection
That's going to worry you Gary. 
Devonian
Grafter

Welcome to China...  AKA  Earth!  Angry
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@artmo, I wish that I was shocked with that news article, but I am not, the National Security Agency & GCHQ won't be happy until they are spying on the full of the world.   Cry  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Next they will be wanting to open every piece of mail, as the postal system pretty much bypasses all this electronic monitoring.  Roll eyes
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

It's all a bit late for me.
Google's earliest references to me date back to 1998.  Angry

Community Veteran

The thing is, no-one here (or anywhere) is FORCED to use the internet and if you do use it, you can always do so annonymously - 3G dongle (not registered, PAYG with cash purchased vouchers, public wifi hotspot, etc.
Those who are crying the most about this typically tend to be those who make the most information about themselves available online. Midnight Caller being one such instance - we all know his name is Gary and I can only assume thats a real photo of him for his avatar.
There is no law saying you must use the internet, nor is there a law saying you must give your real details. Those who do need to stop moaning. If this was direct monitoring of your internet connection in live real-time at the ISP level (lets not go there yet) then I could understand starting this topic but I think MC is scaremongering to be totally honest. Thats coming from me - one of the most distrusting people of the state on this forum.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

So if I ask Amazon to deliver to a non-existent name at a non-existent address, that will work?

Community Veteran

Things started to go wrong when the wage packet no longer contained any real physical cash. Angry
Community Veteran

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
So if I ask Amazon to deliver to a non-existent name at a non-existent address, that will work?

No of course not but again, you do not have to use amazon - you do so by choice knowing that your data could be intercepted at any point.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Undecided Http headers to be ignored by the UK Government...
<meta http-equiv="X-Do-Not-Track" content="1" />
<meta http-equiv="X-Do-Not-Spy-On-Me" content="1" />
<meta http-equiv="X-I-Am-Not-For-Sale" content="1" />
<meta http-equiv="X-It-Is-None-Of-Your-Godarn-Business" content="1" />