cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPs May Be Forced To Vote On Death Penalty

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: MPs May Be Forced To Vote On Death Penalty

I personally think this country has taken a soft line with criminals for too long but my version of a criminal differs with the governments.
The government define people who don't pay their council tax as a criminal. I define a criminal as someone who assaults someone, robs, theives, batters, uses violence etc. What has annoyed me is they'll put you in the slammer if you've not paid your council tax or the HMRC decide they don't like you but you can beat someone senseless in the street and get off with an ASBO or in some cases I've seen on TV lately the charges will be completely dropped  Shocked
It's about time the government was tough on real crime again rather than just choosing the easy pickings route that they've been doing for years. I also say its about time they started using real coppers who had a sense of morality rather than these young ego headed "I'll nick anyone for anything" power hungry types.
Still.. this is the United Krumble of Great Broken isn't it..  Cry
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
matt_2k34
Grafter

I also say its about time they started using real coppers who had a sense of morality rather than these young ego headed "I'll nick anyone for anything" power hungry types.

You'll probably find most coppers agree with you, but the law isnt siding with them and they're just doing their job (there not out to catch petty thieves - but when they deal with someone thats breaking the law in this way they have to deal with it.
I personally think this country has taken a soft line with criminals for too long

Careful! you'll infringe his human rights.
Its about time that abomination was written out ^ -- that or as soon you commit a 'crime' you lose some of your rights.
Regards
randpwar
Grafter

Steve
Seasoned Pro

@randpwar very good read indeed Grin
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

is any power group really interested in the views of the common folk?  this e-petition exercise sounds like another 'cookies for the kids to shut them up' tactic.  pollies won't have to debate owt they don't want to.  they can stick it all at the bottom of the pile and claim any number of excuses for doing nothing.
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
Of the first 169 e-petitions 53 relate to the death sentence.  46 are in favour of the death sentence and 7 against.

And this proves?
As of this evening (9/9/2011) there are still only seven petitions opposing the death penalty and  22 in favour ( I have included in the in favour group any petition simply asking for a referendum, and those asking for the death penalty for treason - not sure what happened to the rest of artmo's 46) . However 22,419 people have signed up to the seven petitions in opposition vs 18,549 who have signed up to the 22 in favour.
So a majority 55% vs 45% is against. The majority  also have the intelligence to sign a common petition rather than spreading their votes (the biggest petition against is 19713  vs 11,415 in favour a 72% advantage) .
The UK population is  about 60Million people, so some 0.03% cares enough to vote in favour, and .04% cares enough to vote against.
Sanity prevails!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: wisty
As of this evening (9/9/2011) ...   ..The UK population is  about 60Million people, so some 0.03% cares enough to vote in favour, and .04% cares enough to vote against.

And, if my arithmatic is correct, 0.0000000167% who think it's September  Cheesy
Fair point though wisty.
Does anyone think all the riots and obscene criminal behaviour might just bring about a tougher stance on law and order?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
matt_2k34
Grafter

just bring about a tougher stance on law and order?

My fingers and toes are crossed!
theres so many people - that i went to school with alone! - that are in prison / always in trouble and its just a smack on the wrist (even for baaad things)
'bout time they started PAYING for what they did (first thing id do in charge would be BAN games consoles and SKY TV from prisons.)
Regards
ccoleman02

I think there should be a referendum on the Death Penalty for certain categories of murder. At present there is no deterrent as the sentences are far too lenient.. Life should mean Life
matt_2k34
Grafter

welcome to the forums cc02!
the sentences are far too lenient.. Life should mean Life

Wink
Regards