cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPs Expenses - Again

Community Veteran

MPs Expenses - Again

The long awaited report by Sir Thomas Legg into MPs expenses has been published.  You can see what your MP has charged for incorrectly here:
Expenses
It makes interesting reading.
46 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: MPs Expenses - Again

Oh yes it does make interesting reading.
From my arier:
Dr Ashok Kumar MP
Dr Kumar was paid for various items of furniture in July 2004, including a sofa at £1,700 and a chair at £950, which exceeded the guideline price by a total of £450.
Total repayment recommended: £450.00
Total repayments received since 1 April 2009: £450.00
Balance recommended to be repaid: £0.00

It should be all that is: £2,650 not £450 wat a joke, if we did that we would be nikt.  Angry
Addnan
Grafter

Just did a quick CTRL+F and couldn't find my local MP. Jim Fitzpatrick.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

He must have been a very naughty boy. Shocked
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

That's strange, I can't find him either.  Wonder why Undecided
Community Veteran

Got him for you.
Fitpatrick
Addnan
Grafter

Can someone interpret that for me. The site seems broken on my browswer. The key at the top is all out of place.
Is that £118K in 1 year? or over the past 7/8 years?
Community Veteran

1 year, but that's everything including the constituency office, staff costs etc. etc.
He's a bargain compared to mine:
http://parliament.telegraph.co.uk/mpsexpenses/expense-microsite/expenses/Cheryl-Gillan/mp-10228
And what really confuses me is that my wife, who works in Westminster for the Government, commutes daily (and is often working late in the Commons or Lords) and we're only a mile or two from our MP who also has a second home allowance - why?  Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: artmo
The long awaited report by Sir Thomas Legg into MPs expenses has been published.  You can see what your MP has charged for incorrectly here:
Expenses
It makes interesting reading.

Just been on the ITV news..... report cost £1.6m....... expenses repaid..... £1.1m  Undecided Undecided Undecided
Community Veteran

That wasn't the point was it though TBH?
Look at the costs of for example magistrates courts vs the fines & other penalties.
Community Veteran

Addnan, the amounts given at the bottom under totals are per year.
Community Veteran

It would be interesting to see if any TV / paper does a tabulation showing their party affiliations to see which lot are the worse.
And to see what the Director of Public prosecutions determines - who if any will be charged and taken to court.
Community Veteran

From the raw material the info you ask for is:
Labour 181
Conservative 112
Lib Dem 25
SNP 4
DUP4
Ind 3.
Bit surprised at the Lib Dems - the whole party involved with the exception of Dr. Cable Wink
I'll leave it to the newspapers to Analize the amounts involved but the top figure was from government minister Barbara Follett for £42k.
idlewis
Grafter

Although the expenses is wrong and everyone including me agrees with that, I think long term problem is that we might not get MP's in Westminister.  If they not allow family members to work them there will not become politicians as they are too busy looking after their own family as it is stressful and tiring which may cause illness.  We need to have a debate about what we want as a society because we Private under the Tories we had Public under Labour in 1974 and we had the Public Private Partnership Under Tony Blair.  We have now the expenses row, we have cuts in public services, immigration is an issue as well and many other issues.
It is time to for someone to try involve the country over the choices the country has to make or what will happen is extremists will occupy the political arena due to low turn outs and voting smaller parties. 
Community Veteran

Thanks Artmo. I think you may have got your number of Lid Dem MP's wrong ? 
http://www.parliament.uk/mpslordsandoffices/mps_and_lords/party.cfm
A quick and dirty calculation of percentages of MP's in each party.
And table resorted. 

PartyNo MP's    Affected%
Conservative Party 19311258%
Scottish National Party 7457%
Labour Party 34918152%
Democratic Unionist Party 9444%
Liberal Democrats 632540%