cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP to be Prosecuted

Community Veteran

MP to be Prosecuted

Another MP with her hands in the till is to be prosecuted. Ex Labour MP, Margaret Moran.
MP Charged
15 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: MP to be Prosecuted

Ex-Luton MP
Community Veteran

Only the greediest and stupidest MP's are getting singled out to get their collars felt.
If the same degree that's applied to benefit claimants were applied to MP's they would have to build a new prison to house the whole sorry lot of them.
For the little work they do the amount they get paid is a crime.
Ellis
Grafter

Our MP's and Ministers/Secretaries of State are very keen to cut down on the work they "do" and and cut jobs. My question is, when are they going to reduce their salaries in line with the loss of workHuh
dick:quote
Community Veteran

It's a wonder this MP had any time to do her job at all Undecided Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm sure that if I stole £60k+ I'd soon be in prison, these people are paid a very decent amount by the taxpayer then they just go and take the [Censored] out of the lot of us.
Rather than improsonment they should be barred from any taxpayer-funded jobs for ever and refused any benefit until the full amount (+ suitable fine and interest) is paid.
If nobody will employ them, dress them up in orange cover-alls and get them cleaning the streets, removing grafiti or whatever needs doing: treat them like the criminals that they are without incurruing further public expense.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Good riddens. She's one of those stuck up women who clearly thinks she's better than everyone else and she deserves it. You know the type I mean..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Luton has 2 MPs, both Labour.  When Moran was an MP she lived close to the other MP Kevin Hopkin.  Whilst she had both feet in the trough he had some of the lowest expense claims in Parliament.  Shows it can be done.
nadger
Rising Star

Obviously, living in South Beds, one has seen a lot of references to Margaret Moran over the years. I seem to recall she was heavily involved with Luton FC and look what happened to them  Wink
As has been said Luton has the only Labour MPs in the East of England and the other MP ( Luton North) Kelvin Hopkins didn't, to my knowledge, even claim for a second home.
To date her £60k plus is the largest amount for which someone has been brought to trial - what price 2  to 3 years in nick  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I would like to make a small wager that, although she soundly deserves it, she never see's the inside of a cell.
I suspect the judiciary will baulk at jailing a woman ex-MP.
I'd approve of being proved wrong though.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I recall one MP who was jailed for fiddling expenses but he was let out of Prison after serving a quarter of his sentence.
It should be made clear to anyone in Public Office that they are expected to set an example of good behaviour for others to follow and if they fail they should get double the sentence of the average person with any stolen money taken from their pension or other assets plus the cost of the court case.
This should be written into a contract before they take up their post as an MP.
Before taking up their post I understand they have to swear an aligance to the queen so it should be incorporated in that.
Community Veteran

I hope her trial goes to Southwark Crown Court.  The others have been tried there and received prison sentences. 
I can't remember, Nadger or Petlew, I think, who had a formula to calculate the likely sentence of the others tried at Southwark.  Any calculations for her?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I certainly hope she hits the slammer too. Maybe then while she's in there she'll realise her poo stinks too  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
tinto
Grafter

What really baffles me about this business is how selective they are about choosing cases to prosecute.  If memory serves there were literally dozens of MPs found to have claimed expenses to which they weren't entitled, although the amounts varied wildly.
For what it's worth I reckon every one of them should have been prosecuted and/or sacked.  That's what would have happened had they been working anywhere else in the public or private sector, and as somebody or other once famously remarked "We're all in this together"
Seems to me some of us are deeper in it than others
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: artmo
I can't remember, Nadger or Petlew, I think, who had a formula to calculate the likely sentence of the others tried at Southwark.  Any calculations for her?
It was me but this one is difficult as she's female and claiming bad health.
Will be unfair if she doesn't get the longest sentence of the lot as she obviously knew what she was doing. I somehow feel that she'll get part of it suspended - let's hope she goes to Southwark.