Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP's expenses....again

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: MP's expenses....again

He's gotta point..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: okrzynska
They know their main place of work will be in London.
What about the time they have to spend in their constituencies?
The danger in being too restrictive with expenses is that the only people who'll stand for election will be very wealthy people as happened in 18th & 19th centuries.
Equally nobody will want to represent places too far from London and, if they do, they'll never go there as also happened in the past.
I think we currently have an overkill situation and eventually a sensible compromise will be reached.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Well an MPs job is shared between both London and their local constituency - I'm sure everyone (including MPs) know this  Roll eyes
I do see what you're saying but the end point is this:
MPs should only get out of pocket expenses. Not paid for every little other stupid expense which is really a luxury reward for joining the elite in political circles. Its not right.
If you or I have to travel out of our normal working area we get expenses and that is correct. If you or I want to go and buy a new TV we can't claim it off the company as an expense so why on earth were MPs ever allowed to? - It's wrong.
I do certainly agree with the comment about we'd be left with only wealthy MPs with no expenses being paid - you are correct there. Unfortunately though I can't honestly say that I believe any of them are currently suffering from poverty like a lot of the population.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Nadger - Yes, MPs have 2 places of work as you say.
We have to accept that expenses have to be paid but they should be well defined so that there can be no doubt. It must be a transparent system that everyone can see is fair.
nadger
Rising Star

I personally think that there should be blocks of one bedroom flats purely for MPs and that these should be maintained and have full security with transport to and from Westminster.
I'm not advocating a return to the " trust" system that used to exist but it's quite possible that the system put in place after the expenses scandal is too rigid and needs a further review.
Community Veteran

I think some European countries do provide accommodation like this.  The other alternative would be to have an arrangement with a hotel to provide rooms at say £100 per night which the MP simply has to sign for and Parliament is billed by the hotel.