Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP's expenses....again

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

MP's expenses....again

From this morning’s Telegraph:-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/8311952/Speaker-says-MPs-expenses-rules-shou...
"The Commons Speaker has added to pressure on the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) to water down rules introduced following the Daily Telegraph’s exposure of the MPs’ expenses scandal in 2009.".
<Rant on>The new rules are so simple that even an idiot could understand them. If an MP doesn’t understand them does he deserve to be an MP?
Moaning that possibly candidates will be put off because the rules are so difficult.
<Rant off>
I'd argue again for making MP's (like librarians of the future) into voluntary positions.
I don't often read the Telegraph..........makes me mad, wish I'd never pick it up this morning.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: MP's expenses....again

Quote from: journeys
I'd argue again for making MP's (like librarians of the future) into voluntary positions.

Ditto. They moan that they have hard working lives serving the public yet they put themselves forward for it in the first place  Roll eyes If they think thats hard they should try working for McDonalds or something because frankly I have no sympathy for MPs with the amount of perks they get.
They're all upper class folks who have been highly educated and then they tell us they understand how hard life is with petrol keep going up etc and that we (the little people) are their priority. What a load of tripe.
They're in it for 2 reasons: Power and Money.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

MP's salaries are not high.  They are paid £66k per annum at present.  With the proposed reduction in the number of MPs I would increase their salary to around £75k and give them a very clearly defined expenses package to cover essential costs.
Community Veteran

Better idea is to give us all the same allowances so we can have free travel (first class), John Lewis furniture, attend work when we like and when we do, spend most of our time talking rubbish instead of dealing with the important things. If this idea was adopted we would all be in a position get a second home and with a bit of ' flipping' pay no tax or rent on it.
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
They're in it for 2 reasons: Power and Money.

Too right.
There was a time when the leaders in government consisted of a handful of ministers, (a couple of which held a title of Secretary of State). During New Labour's reign this increased to a Secretary of State for each main arm of government plus around 110 ministers. I doubt that it has changed for the better under Big Soc. Dave.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
MP's salaries are not high.  They are paid £66k per annum at present.  With the proposed reduction in the number of MPs I would increase their salary to around £75k and give them a very clearly defined expenses package to cover essential costs.

That's over 3 times what I'm on and I've got to pay for my own house.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran

Quote from: avatastic

That's over 3 times what I'm on and I've got to pay for my own house.

Well said. I note that artmo seems to generally disagree with anything I've said so I don't even feel the need to directly respond to him.
All I will say is that £66K is a LOT of money. MAybe not in comparison to bankers and other industries which pay £Millions but add to that expenses being paid for, your house, your 2nd house, your bills, your everything else you can still claim and thats basically a pure £66k SPENDING MONEY - FOR YOU TO SPEND AS YOU WANT.
The rest of us are lucky to earn over £15k and yet we have to pay for everything. I'd take an MPs job any day.
Community Veteran

What would you set an MP's pay at?
Community Veteran

Minimum wage + living allowance.
They are civil servants not our lords and masters.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran

Oh dear! That's not very constructive.  BTW they are not civil servants but our elected representatives.  I would prefer to pay a good salary plus specific expenses and hopefully have a Parliament of people capable of running the country on our behalf. Even now I think we have a number of very good MPs who do a good job.
nadger
Rising Star

I'm sure that their pay is linked to a civil service grade.
I don't think that £66k is excessive especially now that their expenses have been severely restricted.
Community Veteran

How often do you hear of MPs wanting to leave their job? - How often do you hear them complain about it and the lack of benefits for doing such a rotten job? How often do they continue to put themselves forward for it and ask you to vote for them so they can have the job?
I think thats enough said really. In my honest opinion is should be a salary OR expenses. I don't think they should be out of pocket but I don't see why they should have every expense paid just so they can earn a salary. None of us get any expense to go to work - we all have to pay our own transport, our own housing etc why on earth should they have it all paid?
In response to artmo none of them are capable of running this country. Have you not noticed the mess the last government got us into and the even worse mess this one is making of it? - Yet you think they're capable?
Anyone who can't afford a house outright has to take on a 25 year mortgage and pay by installments to enslave us for our working lives yet our government wants all debt cleared by the next election because its unacceptable to be in debt. Do as I say not as I do springs to mind.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
I'm sure that their pay is linked to a civil service grade.
I don't think that £66k is excessive especially now that their expenses have been severely restricted.

You're right, their pay is link to a civil service pay grade but they are not civil servants.
Justified expenses have to be paid.  When I worked I claimed for overnight accommodation and meals, fuel and motoring costs etc.  I was also entitled to charge for entertaining although I know this has been restricted in recent years.
Community Veteran

Justified expenses have to be paid.  When I worked I claimed for overnight accommodation and meals, fuel and motoring costs etc.  I was also entitled to charge for entertaining although I know this has been restricted in recent years.

Yes thats correct. Any employer which sends you away out of your normal daily workplace will normally pay these expenses but MPs are different. They know their main place of work will be in London. Then claiming to get there just to do their job is pathetic. Sure, if they have to stay overnight I don't think they should be out of pocket and of course should be able to claim.. but a second home?, cleaning their home? stationary?
To make my point short and clear: They know what they're putting themselves up for.
Community Veteran

What would you set an MP's pay at?

I would hold them to the promises they made when asking for our vote.
Once those ideas were implemented I would be happy to pay them a bonus on top of a fixed wage but make it very clear to them that part of their role was to set an example of good behaviour and honesty, failure to comply would see them automatically deselected and barred from ever standing again.
This country is often judged by others on how those in positions of authority conduct themselves and what has happened in the recent past leaves a lot to be desired.