cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP's expenses again !

Community Veteran

MP's expenses again !

Looks like some MP's are still on a death wish - going to fight the  Sir Thomas Legg letters.
I like the idea of constituents being able to recall" their MP if they behave badly 
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: MP's expenses again !

MP's expenses are dragging on, Think we should draw a line under the whole episode and have tighter controls going forward.
Trying to 'retrofit' the rules and constraints of gardening and housekeeping expense claims creates a precedence to allow the government to revisit say historic personal tax thresholds at some point in the future.
To get out of the current financial crises HMRC could retrofit the 40% tax band to 42.5% for years 2005-2009.
Sorry don’t like that idea at all.
Cameron should not say “If you don’t repay there will be no place in the Tory party for you”, he should be saying “If you took the expenses in the first place there will be no place in the Tory party for you”

(Rant over)
Although I agree with Mal, being able to recall their MP, a constituency YES/NO Vote on turnout, majority wins.

nadger
Rising Star

Guess I'll have to reduce the wages of my house cleaner and gardener  Smiley
Now all I need is someone brave enough to tell her  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I tried that! she said to expect the divorce papers in the post...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I think it is unreasonable for Sir Thomas Legg to retrospectively change the limit on expense claims for the gardening and cleaning particularly, and expect the MPs to repay the difference. I am not surprised that MPs are unhappy with this development.
nadger
Rising Star

It does look as if Sir Thomas Legg has exceeded his remit - I think he was appointed as someone who they thought  wouldn't really rock the boat.
Looks like the government got it wrong again.
Community Veteran

I suspect it's not just the government. Rather all main parties have had a private meeting behind closed doors as they are all saying similar things.
It is after all not a government issue but a parliamentary one. The Speaker is in charge of such things - hence the change in Speaker.
It will be interesting to see how the new Speaker behaves now in his first real Parliament term.
Fixes: 104

I'm sure this governement has introduced retrospective laws.
Also if the inland revenue can chase someone 5 years later for a mistake made by an accountant, then why can't he say that the expense signers were incorrect and demand repayment?
They're just a bunch of whingeing money grabbing morons. Can't believe with all they've had some of them are bleating about paying back a grand.
Thanks to their pathetic over complicated tax credits I had to pay more than that back and as far as I was concerned had kept them up to date with all our changes in circumstance. Funnily enough they couldn't find any record of these updates.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I agree that they should not be winging about a few hundreds or even thousands of pounds - they are after all well paid, and they spend 4 or 5 days a week living on expenses.
And there is even talk of funds being made available to allow them to borrow money to pay these sums back. It seems the ones who are definitely standing down at the next election ( even assuming others will be re-elected. )
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

You can claim £2k at the next election for scrapping your old MP  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RevelationMD

Quote from: Santiago
I think it is unreasonable for Sir Thomas Legg to retrospectively change the limit on expense claims for the gardening and cleaning particularly, and expect the MPs to repay the difference. I am not surprised that MPs are unhappy with this development.

That is, unfortunately, just MP propaganda - Legg hasn't retrospectively changed the rules, as they were always quite clear.
All he has done is put a figure to 'what is reasonable to claim'. As it has become blazingly obvious that the MPs cannot be trusted to self govern he has had to go back through their books and point out where they have failed to do so. Every MP who had obeyed both the spirit and the letter of the rules - as they originally stood - has nothing to fear from Sir Legg.
Community Veteran

I believe the Legg revised annual total claim now for cleaning is the equivalent to paying a cleaner for 3 hours a week at minimum wage.
As MPs are not particularly highly paid they should be able to claim for more cleaning and gardening otherwise they would have to do it themselves.
I for one would prefer, in my case, Lindsay Hoyle MP spending more time in the Commons or his office doing MP stuff rather than staying at home washing his smalls, mopping the kitchen floor and weeding his borders.
Community Veteran

what this legg fellow is proposing is unreasonable.  retrospective legislation is anathema and completely unfair.  those mps who had their expenses cleared under the rules owe nothing and should resist calls to repay.
morality notwithstanding, if they obeyed the rules, they obeyed the rules.
we pride ourselves in this country on fair play.  this sort of thing is not fair and opens the way for further iniquities in the future.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Personally I think they should all be flushed out anyway. They all knew what they were doing. They were all in on it and now they've been caught they're all saying sorry and offering to repay a few hundred quid out of the thousands they've robbed us of over the years.
Frankly I think they're taking the piss. Do they honestly think that we're just going to forgive them for it all?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
mentalist3d
Grafter

I'm sure they will only have to pay back a token sum, like Jacqui Smith who will only have to probably pay back about a thousand, even though she had made a profit of about a hundred thousand by only following/exploiting the rules. Yes, they were only following the rules, which they made, in their favour,  so should pay back what they knowingly took.