cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP`s Expenses

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

MP`s Expenses

Had a thought about this the other day, when GB decided that he would try to "do away" with the MP`s Second Home Allowance, and replace it with a "Daily Attendance Allowance"..
Now that seems to me to be a sensible approach to tackle two serious problems at the same time....
1.  MP`s getting their snouts in the trough and pigging all our money for their "second homes" and all the fixtures and fittings...
2.  MP`s "not attending" and leaving it to a few, in some cases only 6 or 7 to debate the serious problems presented before parliament.
If they got rid of the first, and paid out on the second, then I am sure we would have a much better government attendance in the House.....
169 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: MP`s Expenses

only after the done a number of hours and not drifted away as soon as they got there  - how many were in the house for the expences discussion, the TV shot there must have been at least 30 Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Which is pretty poor turnout, considering there are over 600 MP`s representing "US" ... Shocked Shocked
Community Veteran

One of the worst things in my view is that they can claim mortgage payments, council tax , fuel etc etc expenses for a second house/flat in London, and then when they stop - they can sell and get the capital gains on the property - totally at our expense. TOTALLY out of order in my view,
Thety should do would they make civil servants etc - they provide serviced flats on a stricklt need sbasis - and they are VERY nice flats in nice parts of town like Victoria / Pimlico / Westminster etc etc .
And when it comes to secretaries / researchers - they should be given a lecvel of allowances - which then have to be declared. I speak with some knowledge here as my Aunt was a secretary to a few well know MP's / Lord's a few years back and I was taken into Houses of Parliament many times when a teenager, youth.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

At the expense of being controversial and seeming to stick up for politicians (I don't I assure you) Pro-rata job for job, our politicians are probably under paid (basic salary) for the (supposed) responsibility of running the country. If all politicians were given a sensible independently assessed pay rise but were forced to drop all over and above expenses, have their staff paid by the civil service, give up grace and favour homes, and in general act like employed people everywhere (it should be remembered we are their employers not the other way round) then I think I would go for that.
Was that a pig I saw flying by?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

If you did it's probably infectious Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
If all politicians were given a sensible independently assessed pay rise

Which would probably neatly put them in the current 50% tax bracket, suspect they won't like that much...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Meant to say; that MP's are probably not looking forward to the publication of the independent review going on at the moment. There is a rumor that at least one MP is claiming second home status for a property in France!! maybe on the principle that its closer than his constituency home. Some may make Jackie Smith's look like petty cash...
Some hot and sticky is about to hit the fan methinks...

Community Veteran

What's the bet they find some way to delay publication of the information Wink
Community Veteran

Most likely under the Terrorism Act too.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That they are in terror of the details being published isn't a reason to block it under the terrorism act! Crazy
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

@Petlew - you say that MP's run the country. I would differ - the government / civil service run the country. MP's monitor, and then determine the laws of the land.
As part of the process they get mesmerised by the "Westminster  club" and get delusions of grandiere.
Of course many MP's are very good, and do a great job for their constituents - but as for others.......
And don't forget that the House of Commons chamber is only one small part of Parliament. There are many commitee rooms were they spend many hours in behind the scene's unless you go to observe ( as you can very easili ) and see on the Parliament TV Channel.
And as always - in any business - networking takes place out of formal meetings, and in the case of MP's in the many pubs and restaurants around  Westminster. 
Community Veteran

Quite right mal0z, however MP's don't object to taking all the credit when things go right though. And very good at buck passing when it doesn't.
One of the problems is that Civil Servants no longer actually do the running any more, much of their expertise has been whittled away by this government.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If you believe MP's are defrauding the taxpayer with bogus expense claims you can always, As a responsible citizens, report benefit fraud to the authorities.
https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/
This website makes it easy to report those you suspect of fraudulently claiming money from the State. It allows you to remain anonymous, and is a key tool in assisting the government in their high-profile quest to cut down on waste and inefficiency in the public sector.
As an example
Jacqui Smith's full name is Jacqueline Jill Smith, her DoB is 3rd November 1962, her eye colour is blue, her address is a matter of some confusion (but you can put House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA), and she earns £294,549 (£141,866 Minister's salary, £152,683 in expenses).
(the more people who report a fraudster, the greater the likelihood of an investigation being launched), it takes about 5 minutes.
The Home Secretary wouldn't want it any other way... ................................. ...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Well it all seems to have hit the fans in the papers this morning!