cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP's Expenses and Your Vote

Fixes: 47

MP's Expenses and Your Vote

This topic was raised this morning on TV and got me thinking.
Should I lodge a complaint by refusing to vote or vote as before and face the consequences.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
58 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: MP's Expenses and Your Vote

Well seen as though you haven't even voted in your own poll  Wink Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks

Give me a chance. It's a life changing decision Wink Embarrassed

Edit: Voted 1 because I don't see my decision changing anything.
Fixes: 105

and there is still time to change your mind... can't see it though.
Will Moderate For Thanks
N/A

Sorry to be a bit pedantic, but I wonder if the first option assumes that you voted for one of the major parties last time?
It appears so because the next one says change to one of the other major parties.
If you voted for one of the minority parties last time, you wouldn't be changing to one of them, which is what is stated in the third question (if you see what I mean).
Haven't voted because it is not really clear.  Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Uhmm! its a bit of a quandary this one. Voted 1, but its only because the alternatives don't bare thinking about, fact is we sadly DO need politicians, but surely its time that it was looked at like a job of work and brought up to date. I like traditions and the trappings that go with it, but we live in a real world, its time politicians were dragged kicking and screaming into it, and set example to the rest of us, we expect nothing less...now.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

I take your point Poppy and have amended option 2 to be less 'leading'.
Though you haven't commented on it, option 3 was out of curiosity as to whether people would abandon one of the major parties in favour of a minority party.
N/A

Well, after the amendment I've put change to a minority candidate because it is closest but I last voted for a minority candidate anyway. 
MrC
Grafter

How about being able to express a "none of the above" vote by spoiling the paper?
Mike

@Poppy you could have selected option 1 as a no change vote
@MrC option added...and from past experience you won't be alone.
Community Veteran

None of the above
Well - having voted in many general elections, I think I have voted for 4 parties over the years - both major ones & liberals and a independent.
That's because I don't believe any of the main three or four parties ( I live now in Scotland ) deserve such loyalty. They have all mucked up without exception ( maybe a bit unfair on SNP as they have only been in a minority government in Scotland ). And I have moved around the country and in some areas one or other of the major parties stood absolutely no chance of winning.
So I am one of those tactical voters - and I might vote for someone who I really dislike - but only to help ensure that another person gets in. This method does work by the way, as I know of many who have done the same thing, and our preferred candidate has won with only a small minority.
I still look at the local candidate and take their record very much to account.
Looking at the info so far available - my MP seems to have a clearer record than many. So this issue may not carry much influence in my thinking.
As to what I think we need - a radically different government from the old Tory/Labour mould - maybe a minority government were members of other smaller parties are needed to get major bills through.
Maybe something like we have had in Scotland - a Labour/LibDem partnership and now an SNP government with majority of 1 - where they need to carry the Tories & or Labour & or LibDems and even Greens to get various bills through. It's been rather interesting and quite effective on some issues.
Community Veteran

I'm hoping some normality will be back in politics before the next General Election or we could end up with an extreme party having power and that would be a disaster.
Before the GE we will have both the European elections and County Council elections.  I'm easy with the vote for the European elections but will certainly vote for a major party in the CC elections.  We have a good CC and I would vote to keep them in power.

So far the consensus is business as usual which I can understand. Maybe it's better the devil.....etc
Community Veteran

I agree Artmo that we don't want an extreme party in power, but I don't see that happening in the UK in the present circumstances.
But some are saying that the BNP may get some more votes - and people like George Gallaway ( forget his party name ) - but unless they end up holding a minority of power - I can't see them having much influence.
One party that may end up with more power is UKIP as many feel that the EU isn't serving us as well as it could.
But I've not noticed if their small number of members have had their noses in the trough ?.But the party most likely to loose out to them would be the Tories wouldn't it ?.
Community Veteran

Gallaway's party is the Respect party.
I agree with you Mal, UKIP could do well and it will be the Tories that suffer.  You're right they had 3 members with their noses in the trough.  They were all expelled as far as I remember - and very swiftly.  Their leader (Farage?) comes across well I think.