cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOT testing LED bulbs ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

MOT testing LED bulbs ?

Just had my car fail its MOT because I fitted WHITE LED's for the side lights. The tester said they were BLUE and have to be WHITE, I said they are WHITE but with a blue tinge, but I had to replace them to get it through.  Roll eyes Crazy
Anybody know the law on this, because when I bought the bulbs there were sold as WHITE light.
I also fitted them to the side indicator repeaters but they were fine because the cover is orange  Wink
12 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: MOT testing LED bulbs ?

strictly speaking it is against the law to emit Blue light other than by an approved Emergency vehicle, Not had a look at the law recently as to the wave length of Blue, I personally hate the current main beam cold lights that do emit a Daylight blue
itsme
Grafter

Were they marked with an E. If so these are legal if not they are illegal.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Funnily enough I was chatting to a traffic WPC the other day on this very subject. She assured me if they stop you showing anything other than apparently whites light to the front you will probably be booked and committing an offence. This came up as they had only just nicked a young guy for showing red lights (LED sidelights) to the front.
This is one of those curious anomaly's where it is not illegal to sell them, just to use them.
The only lights not covered by any legislation are those fitted under a car that shine down onto the road, which can be any colour.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Yes I was wondering about those "blue" headlights you see on a lot of cars now, some are the tinted ones (sold for better "visibility" in bad weather) and others are HID lights, now if HID is legal (and I believe it is fitted to high end Audi's) then how can they book you for a tinted led? Fine for a red/green/blue one but a white one?
I have some multi-led lamps in my caravan and they use a blue tint, but the light is white not blue.
Community Veteran

I thought some new car manufacturers fit LED lights as standard.
Not sure if they are for headlights yet, but the technology is certaily available - the railways now use LED headlights on some stock.
whiteliner
Dabbler

this has got to be gordon browns fault  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

The key to this I think, is the E number. If it's got an E number and fitted in the correct place (ie you can't use a headlight bulb for your rear sidelight!) then it's legal.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The only lights not covered by any legislation are those fitted under a car that shine down onto the road, which can be any colour.

not to sure that is correct, some have been nicked around here and the regulation say emitting blue light to the front, so if it is visible but not facing it is still illegal
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@pierre, The traffic WPC was of the opinion that as long as the light source itself is not visible and is only illuminating a relatively small area of the road around the car, then they (quote) wouldn't "pull" the car for that reason alone, the nature of the vehicles and drivers of cars with under body lights may well mean they attract official attention for other reasons though. Whilst they're parading up and down the Kings Road Chelsea they're pretty safe from the gaze of the police.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I thought the "E" numbers related to the HOLDER not the bulb, not looked closely at any bulbs lately (Would need my reading glasses AND a magnifying glass to see these sidelight ones, they are mounlded push in jobs)
I know I have LED indicators on my bike and they have passed before, as the glass is stamped with an "E" number,
MrC
Grafter

@biker955: If the indicator unit is E marked then apparently the bulb has to be as well. Some useful info here from the Prince of Darkness:-
http://www.lucaselectrical.co.uk/pressreleases/2007/EP0079.pdf
Mike
Community Veteran

Now that is interesting my led indicators on the bike have about 9 led's in them, and they are not E marked but the holder is (non replaceable "bulbs"), you can open it but not remove the led's as they are soldered in place.
Similar to these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-PAIRS-OF-MOTORCYCLE-LED-SPEAR-INDICATORS-BLACK_W0QQitemZ250224731790QQcmdZVi... And the bike has passed a MOT no problem.
Guess I will have to see if I can find a magnifying glass somewhere  Wink