cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOT - is a non opening door a fail?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

MOT - is a non opening door a fail?

My Leon has this week decided that it doesn't want to open the osr door. It is due for an MOT next week and I need to know if it will fail on that.
From searching it is a common VAG issue and will need to replace the module after removing the door panel from the inside. Bit of a PITA to do as the door will not open.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: MOT - is a non opening door a fail?

I have never seen that on the list of things they check for a MOT, it might depend on which garage you take it to for the test.
A main dealership or similar might  fail it on the grounds of safety,ie if a passenger in the rear seat was unable to get out following an accident, even if they did not fail it they may record it as a item requiring attention so if you did have an accident and it was not repaired the insurance company might not pay out.
Some of the smaller garages doing MOT's might overlook it.
Hub caps are not a MOT't failure but a note was made on swmbo MOT form that one was damaged.
alanj
Grafter

Have a look here - particularly 2.8
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-parts-checked-at-an-mot/car-parts-checked-at-an-mot
Not looking good, I'm afraid...
Community Veteran

the mantra appears to be "if fitted, must work"
Community Veteran

Ahh well will just have to see how much it is to fix it. Can't get a part in time to fit it before Monday. That and I am not sure how to attack the door without making more issues.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Typically cut through the door card and then replace that along with any internal mechanism.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Didn't really want to hack the door card, will see how much KF are going to charge me to replace it.
Checked ebay and the mechanism is cheap <£20/
Community Veteran

If you measn KwikFit they won't replace the door card (not to my knowledge anyway). They normally only deal with brakes suspension exhausts, tyres and tracking.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Does this site: http://www.partscats.info/seat/en/?i=cat_vag_models&brand=se&number=130&set=143&ein=2011&f=703&haupt... help at all in identifying the location of the item (also good for part numbers).
GSF are usually quite good (OK prices) for VAG parts (though with the exact part number a thorough internet search is possible)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Yes they are doing the mot on Monday. If they can't wont fix it then I will have to hack it myself.
Nice site, problem is there is 2 different models listed for same year. Looks like I have to remove the central locking cable to find out which, on ebay they cheap ones have 6 wires the expensive ones 2.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

i'd be surprised if KW offer to fix the door, it's not something in their product range.
however, expect the MOT to fail on things that they do offer in-store though (exhaust, brakes, tires etc).
best way to do things is to take to a place for the MOT and tell them that you are using them for the MOT only and any repairs will be done elsewhere.
that means there is no incentive for them to fail the MOT on the basis that they get the extra work.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

The best place to get your car MoT'd is through the Council. Yes, I said council, as councils have to maintain their own fleet they normally do their own MoTs and some of these sites are open to the public. The good thing is, as they don't do repairs they have no interest in profit from potential repairs or fails, so won't 'make things up'!
Community Veteran

But that means nothing if they're one of those con garages that then try the "It's illegal for us to release an unsafe car to you - you'll have to let us repair it" scam.
Best to take it to an MOT only station instead who's only business is MOT testing. Thats what we do and surprisingly they have no interest in failing the car unless it's something serious.
adie:quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

What means nothing? I've just said the same as your last sentence, but I'm suggesting the local council, or have I missed something?
Community Veteran

Sadly it is booked in there and I can't unbook it without loosing ££'s.
So it will have to be there.
The disks/pads are all new, the tyres are ok, the exhaust is whole no leaks.