cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOT changes.

Fixes: 234

MOT changes.

The MOT rules are set to change on May 20th. Apart from changes to what is being tested it will now be illegal to drive a car if you get it tested before the old certificate expires and it has failed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

28 REPLIES
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 47

Re: MOT changes.

Only if it is deemed dangerous.

Non Daily Mail link!

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@Mav wrote:

The MOT rules are set to change on May 20th. Apart from changes to what is being tested it will now be illegal to drive a car if you get it tested before the old certificate expires and it has failed.

@Mav

Slight correction needed there....  it always was illegal to drive a vehicle that had FAILED its M.O.T.TEST if tested  prior to the expiry of the existing ticket.

You will be able to drive your car legally, if it is tested prior to the existing expiry date, so long as it passes the M.O.T.TEST

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter

As far as I can tell, this is the current situation:

Failing the MOT
If your vehicle fails the MOT:

you’ll get a ‘refusal of an MOT test certificate’ from the test centre
it will be recorded in the MOT database
You can appeal the result if you think it’s wrong.

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

have the failed defects fixed
a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Does that mean if wifey fails her health MOT, I have to leave her at the doctors and can't take her home? (wishful thinking).  Lips are sealed

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@shutter wrote:

@Mav wrote:

@Mav

Slight correction needed there....  it always was illegal to drive a vehicle that had FAILED its M.O.T.TEST if tested  prior to the expiry of the existing ticket.

You will be able to drive your car legally, if it is tested prior to the existing expiry date, so long as it passes the M.O.T.TEST

It's illegal to drive the car if it fails and doesn't have a current MOT certificate to cover it - eg if its been off the road a few years and fails. Otherwise it IS / WAS legal to continue using it as the law stated that it had to have a valid MOT certificate for the 12 month period. Obviously if your car is on the road and you take it in early and it fails, the other certificate is still valid.

But it was / is a grey area because if you failed an early MOT and continued using it, the police could bust you for driving an unsafe vehicle - though it wasn't actually illegal to use it for not having a valid MOT. What needed to be done was to clarify if the new MOT would invalidate the previous one - this move has now done that very thing.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Blimey that's a lot of new checks, and why are we still bothering with yet another EU directive?

No wonder there is an increase in vehicle leasing rather than buying outright. Is it worth the hassle of owning a car over three years old, and is it goodbye to second hand motors, sheepskin coats and trilbys, and hello to virtually having an endowment mortgage on four wheels. And why annual, when I lived overseas older vehicles only had their MOT (known as the contrôle technique) every two years. 

At the moment mine would definitely fail as it has some slight wear on the front offside tyre and those wipers are looking a bit streaky.

Ah well (Hugs own ten year old Fiesta, mutters "been nice knowing you old girl" Cry) time to get more use out of my bus pass.

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran

We all hate the annual M.O.T. Test... but it has done a good job over the years.... we do not see rusty old bangers held together with rope, and tape with dodgy brakes and steering, not to mention bald tyres.... so , in a way, I am happy to take my car in...

as a matter of interest.... my old skoda, that I had for 10 years,.... mentioned once or twice on this forum  ! .. never failed an M.o.T. test...  and so far, this newer one, has not failed me either.

I have a very good mobile mechanic, who does the work needed on the car, brake pads/shoes etc.. mainly the 10,000 mile oil and filter change... I always ask him to give it a good look around underneath to see if there are any problems, and if so, get them fixed well in advance...  I do the obvious checks, lights, wipers, wash wipe fluid, brake fluid, coolant etc so it is well covered.

Community Veteran

A lot of people will miss this one... ! ! ..

Registration plates

These will be inspected to check for: condition, secure attachment, colour, and characters correctly formed and spaced

That should get rid of those stupid "personalised" number plates....  ( and kill the market for them too...... Ooops... does that mean that DVLC will be losing out   ? ? ? ? ? ) 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Of course @shutter and I make light of it but still, that's a lot of things to pass you must admit.

I do remember those rusty old bangers though, my Dad had one and he'd have us cleaning off it's rusty hubcaps with brillo pads. He was not pleased at the time with the introduction of the MOT I know that, but given (as I have since learned) he never held even had a drivers licence and probably no insurance either, I doubt he cared as much as he made out.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Pete11

"Does that mean if wifey fails her health MOT...... "

Well my GP would charge at least a £100 for one of those, and around the same I'd guess for an elderly driver examination!

Off to the local dump it is then. Smiley

Champnet
Pro

Those rusty old banger of the 60's and 70's came with the rust built in, which took about three years to work it's way through the paint work....

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Came with rust? How right you are @Champnet

I well remember doing some work during and after shutdown at the Vauxhall Ellesmere Port factory and we'd see whole outside areas full of those Vauxhall Viva body shells covered in rust. They'd be brought in, sprayed as they were, and then fitted out.

No wonder they rotted away in no short order afterwards - but then I also recall they were famous for it.

Community Veteran

Regardless of the MOT status I believe it is illegal to drive a car that is unsafe or fails Construction & Use regulations.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Any car registered or built before 1978 will not need a mot certificate........

Wish I had kept that old minivan or the volvo 144

Smiley