cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOT Tests best day

Anonymous
Not applicable

MOT Tests best day

The best day to have a MOT done is a Friday and own a silver Mercedes-Benz the worst is a white car on a Monday

I always ask for the test to be done after the service not before but the DSVA want them done first so they can compile  statistics

Simple things like an air freshener hanging from a rear view mirror or a dash camera stuck to the windscreen can be a fail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6920091/How-pass-MOT-buy-silver-car-tested-Friday.html

Brian A

21 REPLIES 21
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: MOT Tests best day

The best day would be the day after you've had a pre MOT check. It's what I do now anyways coupled with a general check over for things not covered by an MOT and which might need attention. 

Days are long gone when I'd tinker m'self, now it's just checking all is topped up, lights are working, and all the tyres still have some tread on 'em. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

The best day.........

........is when it passes with no faults found or advisory note issued.

Cheesy

We are born into history and history is born into us.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My sixteen year old diesel Clio has managed to coast through its last few mot's.

I put that down to remembering to give it a good Italian tune up just before the test.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

Does that include seeing how fast it can go in reverse? Funny

Hope my Mrs is not looking at my PN posting, it'll be no spaghetti or pizzas for a month!

billnotben
Community Veteran

Nah, it's hardly a tank.

But when I did forget the speedy warm up I was told the emissions were borderline.

But with a good warm up it sails through well within the regs.

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

@Minivanman wrote:

Does that include seeing how fast it can go in reverse? 

I bought my MGB Roadster after watching one reverse down the road, I was impressed....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Snap, had one of those. Thumbs_Up

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

@Minivanman wrote:

Snap, had one of those. Thumbs_Up

Had mine 1983-2008, 1 major rebuild. We lived in Somerset which was a perfect place for a MG.

Strat
Fixes: 505

I had a car fail its MOT because I forgot to remove the child seat from the back seat.

The tester put on the fail notice "Unable to test all rear seat belts"

It took me 10 seconds to remove the seat and I arranged a retest.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

billnotben
Community Veteran

Going back a couple of decades I used to like taking my car to the bus depots mot test centre.

If the lights or carb was a bit out they just reached for their screwdriver and adjusted it.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Strat 

Seem to recall I had that child seat excuse as well, it was a real WT... moment if memory serves but still, I guess they must get as fed up with taking them out to test as much as we do with putting them back in. It's a real pain in the Arsenal I do know that, especially with a two door Fiesta.

Never ever thought that at seventy and more years old I'd still have 'em in the car, and don't even get me started on baby gates, cots, and those blinking booster seats!

Back in my day... Roll_eyes

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

A bit like me then as adjusting the carb was something I could never ever get the hang of, but maybe that was because my ears have always been out of tune as well. Sad

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

The car coasted through its MOT last Tuesday - so Tuesday is a good day. Considering its done nigh on 130k miles, emissions were well below failure level. Before it goes in I usually check lights, wipers, oil / washer bottle etc levels, tyres (although failed last year due to slight tyre bulge on the inside of one - potholes!) Free retest though after I got it replaced.

But the tester made me Smiley When I booked the motorbike in for next month, he was saying he hoped it would be good. Seemed he'd had a succession of failures that morning. Lights, no brake pads! Even 2 in with missing number plates. Number plates! Don't these jokers look at the machines they're riding. Makes you wonder when they were last serviced.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

If I remember correctly was there not something you could add to the diesel in your car prior to a mot test to get the emissions down ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.