cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOT Query

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

MOT Query

Last week I got a letter, along with thousands of other car owners to inform me that a safety defect may exist in the passenger side air bag and excessive internal pressure could cause the inflator to rupture and metal fragments could cause an injury to vehicle occupants.
My car is booked in for a MOT on Tuesday but can how can it pass if there is a potential problem with an airbag ?
I Have contacted the dealership but was advised they can take no action until they get a letter authorising them to undertake the work which will be free unless I book the car in now and will be charged for the work. They have no idea when they will get authorisation to do the work or how long the backlog would be.
SWMBO also got a letter regarding the same fault and she has a different make of car to me.
Cars affected seem to be one made in the 2004 to 2009 period.
Anyone any thoughts on the situation regarding the MOT ?
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: MOT Query

Not sure... but... there is no suitable way of testing an airbag.... so they cannot fail it because there is a "potential" problem highlighted...
e.g... they can test your brakes,... to see if they work correctly...... they can test the steering to see if it works correctly.. and they can check all the other bits and pieces  to make sure they are in working order/good condition.. (ball joints/springs/exhaust/lights bodywork/tyres etc... )...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Last time I checked the MOT Examiner doesn't have to assess the built in fragmentation grenades.  However as Shutter says "potential" rather than actual.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

The key word in the notification is may {a safety defect may exist}!  Cool
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So, ... according to my way of thinking... the word "may" is less important than " potential "...  ( sorry maybe I didn`t read  your post properly !  Embarrassed )
That would be like the MOT examiner seeing your brake lights working... and then failing you, because one of them "may" not work next week..... 
Community Veteran

Thanks for the replies, as you all say it would be difficult for it to be failed on a "potential problem"
I guess they identify these problems following a number of reported failures but wonder what the figure has to be before they are required to recall all affected vehicles ?
nanotm
Pro

normally they send out letters like that so people can disable the air bags before they gut the occupants in the event of a crash ...it might be worth getting yours disconnected and then check in with the dealership every few weeks to check on what the company are doing about it /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

@nanotm,
Only problem there might be the insurance company if you had an accident and had the airbag disconnected and a passanger was injured, no matter how good or reasonable your case insurance companies will use any excuse not to pay out
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Given the number of cars affected - assuming that this is the Honda recall - and the total lack of any reported serious injury in the UK I would definitely recommend leaving well alone.
Note that disabling the air bag will definitely fail the MOT
nanotm
Pro

yeah that's a good point, wasn't considering those aspects of the problem/
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's easy, one, don't crash, two, get the MOT done (they only have to see that it's there and plugged in), and three, take it in for the recall work, no real problems there, unless you crashed of course and it was one of the affected airbags...  Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
Given the number of cars affected - assuming that this is the Honda recall - and the total lack of any reported serious injury in the UK I would definitely recommend leaving well alone.
Note that disabling the air bag will definitely fail the MOT
Correct it is a Honda recall in my case, however SWMBO has had exactly the same letter but from the Toyota dealership regardingher toyota yaris so several makes appear to have this potential problem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

From memory the recall is due to a manufacturer who makes airbags for many car companies, so it's not just Honda that is affected...
Makes me wonder if the airbag I removed from my Honda seat I use for gaming is a dodgy 'un, doubt there was much left of the scrapped Accord it came from to be recalled... Grin
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
My car is booked in for a MOT on Tuesday but can how can it pass if there is a potential problem with an airbag ?

The MOT only tests for the minimum safety of the car so i don't see the airbag being an issue. As long as your brakes, lights, steering wheel, doors, locks, horn, tyres, engine etc all work ok with no big red flashing warning lights on the dashboard you should be ok.. unless they've introduced a new rule failing vehicles with known defects.
Quote from: twocvbloke
(they only have to see that it's there and plugged in)

Actually they're not allowed to dismantle your car (eg the dashboard) so they've never actually see that it's there and that it is plugged in. Not that i'd advise disconnecting it but a bulletproof vest might be a wise investment  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!