cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOT Certificate

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

MOT Certificate

Just had my car MOT'd today and the certificate issued is completely different from the usual one I get which had sections coloured blue. This one is a white sheet (which could be easily photocopied) which gives all the necessary information & testers signature but also states the details have been recorded on the DVLA database and can be confirmed by going to their website.
Has anyone else had one of these newer certificates ?
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: MOT Certificate

Everyone from last week on: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022108
(and yes I got one last week)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

They probably had issues troubles finding more n-pin printers now. That and multi-part paper are so 1980's  Cheesy
It always amazed me seeing my bike MOT printed on an old Epson FX85 (recall them?)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I guess with it being on a database now, the printed certificate is somewhat redundant
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If that is the case... then so is the Insurance certificate... an paper/photo driving licence.
after all.. the Police National Computer, seems to know which car registrations have no mot , or no insurance... and also those drivers who do not have a licence to drive. !... why do we need to renew it ? and carry it around with us all the time.? 
Perhaps I should start a petition.....  Roll eyes
Heloman
Grafter

Yes, just last week I had one of the new MOT certificates. At first I thought the mechanic had just given me a receipt, but he assured me it was the new MoT.
I was three weeks late getting my MoT done because unlike tax and insurance we don't get a reminder  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: Heloman

I was three weeks late getting my MoT done because unlike tax and insurance we don't get a reminder  Roll eyes

You need to get Firefox addon "ReminderFox"..... and put the date down on there... and a reminder about two weeks prior, so you can get them wiper blades (refills from the £1 shop ) changed, and washer bottle topped up. etc .... Roll eyes
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: shutter
after all.. the Police National Computer, seems to know which car registrations have no mot , or no insurance... and also those drivers who do not have a licence to drive. !... why do we need to renew it ? and carry it around with us all the time.? 

I never carry any paper round - except my tax disc!

Community Veteran

Another thing that is really "unnecessary" to display.... PNC has it all taped up... so why the need to "display the Tax Disc in the windscreen"?  Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Personally I think the tax disc is daft but then come on guys, we all know how unreliable government computers are. Just a few years ago in the local rag some bloke got pulled by the local fuzz and his car crushed because it wasn't insured... except it was and his insurance company wrote him a letter confirming that the MID was in fact wrong and they still had an active policy for him.
While the paper work is a pain, its still proof that the evil computer is wrong and its something that you can hold in your hand and see for yourself rather than get suspicious that the government is playing tricks etc. You know full well the moment we get shot of the bits of paper, renewal dates will start randomly changing..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I wonder if the insurance company paid up for the nasty "accident" he suffered and did they bonk his no-claim bonus?
PS  I tried to renew my car tax online yesterday three times and failed because of "a technical problem" As it was drier today went to the PO in town and did it without any problem.. the girl behind the counter commented that you get a free smile as well!!  Cant be bad.
      Crazy
Fixes: 47

Whatever you do don't trust a local DVLA office for road tax.
I did a few years ago and landed with a threat of court action for non payment 3 months later.
I do it online now with no problems and a prompt service.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: colintivy
I wonder if the insurance company paid up for the nasty "accident" he suffered and did they bonk his no-claim bonus?

Not sure if you're referring to my comments about the fella who's car got wrongly crushed.. If you are:
Wasn't the insurers fault and they even contacted the police directly. The local fuzz were overly keen to crush the blokes car. Instead of impounding it and giving the owner chance to get legal and collect it they crushed it the same day. They then published a statement in the paper when it went public that they'd done nothing wrong and would not be compensating the driver for wrongly destroying his vehicle. They refused to comment on why they had crushed his car straight away despite his offers to provide proof the next day.
The fuzz can be an odd bunch round here. I used to have one next door and everytime i even mentioned anything about the car on the drive SORN'd his chums would be at the top of the road the next day. Initially I thought it was coincidence but it kept happening time after time and then the other fella next door had something to say - he kept getting tugged every other week and he got on well with the plods wife  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

PNC?  Don't make me laugh.
I had the misfortune of someone reversing into my car in a motorway service station, while my wife and I were sat in the car.  Subsequently they drove off, but we got the registration.
reported to police, asked to report to local police station on return from holiday, 4 days later. Did this, and was asked to produce my driving license, insurance and Mot . I only had the driving license with me. So, innocently I asked
" can't you put the car registration into the PNC to confirm my insurance and Mot?"..
"No, I can't"
"why?"
"Because it would discriminate against people who don't have valid insurance or Mot ! ".

Forgive my naivete, but I thought that was the polices' job ... to discriminate against criminals...
Community Veteran

No not these days.. these days the Criminals have the rights - we don't. We're lead by example by the crooks in parliament like Mr Vince Cable who tried to dodge VAT just recently.