Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M$'s new "guide" for those who aren't updating xp

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

M$'s new "guide" for those who aren't updating xp

El reg has a nice take on it here
Basically:
Don't visit dodgy web site, like what ? How do I know it is dodgy?
Don't click on links in email - what but it is from my good friend/bank/Nigerian price  Wink
Review your firewall rules - WTF is a firewall ? Come on this is for non pc literate people.
Backup regularly - always a good idea that is never done.
OR :
1:
If you never connect to a network, Microsoft's mitigations would probably mean you could use your XP machine safely.

2:
Or install Linux, an operating system utterly likely to leave an XP machine eminently usable and secure.
  Grin
For my ONE pc that runs (any M$ OS) xp I will be doing 1 as it is only used to flash f/w to devices never on the net. And it has been MONTHS since it was last on.  Grin
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: M$'s new "guide" for those who aren't updating xp

Quote from: Hairy
Or install Linux

I can't help but wonder why no-one else has replied yet  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Hey I didn't write the article. That was a direct quote from it  Wink
Community Veteran

and naturally you couldn't let the opportunity go to quote it  Tongue  Cheesy  Wink
TORPC
Grafter

<snip>
Or install Linux, an operating system utterly likely to leave an XP machine eminently usable and secure.
  Grin

Would that be the garden KNOME variety, Grow your own MINT or the KDE Flavour Cheesy Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Its GNOME not KNOME, and they (With KDE) are DESKTOPS not distro's. So any of them  Cheesy
I prefer MATE which is like the original Gnome type, or for you M$ types like W7.  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Where can I download Linux XP please?  Tongue
I still have software (needed for work) that only runs on XP (and can't be re-installed for that matter since I no longer have the install media and the publisher no longer exists) so I have to keep that particular machine 'as is' for as long as possible.
I will likely build a second work machine for any online work and use one keyboard, mouse and monitor with one of those KVM switch thingies.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: w23
use one keyboard, mouse and monitor with one of those KVM switch thingies.

Unless you want to access the bios on a regular basis, I'd save yourself the bother and just use a software solution instead such as TightVNC. Install the server on the headless machine as a service that auto starts and then the client on the keyboard'd machine and connect to it that way and use it like a remote desktop. Free, minimal fuss, no extra hardware and just as effective.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Thanks 7up.  I routinely use SSH for remote access to server type boxes but never got round to investigating the likes of TightVNC (I use TeamViewer and, previously, LogMeIn on Windows boxes), is this the same kind of thing - like SSH but with a full graphical desktop?
Excuse my ignorance here, just not an area I've ever really looked into for Linux.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

If it's an XP box you could simply enable remote desktop and connect to it using mstsc.exe (microsoft terminal sevices client) using the ip address of it on your network. RDP works over the internet too but it's a bit ore bandwidth hungry.
VNC is more flexible about bandwidth settings etc. Yes it (and RDP) are like logmein etc except you do not need to pay for it but you will need to know the host name / ip address and configure your router if you expect to use it from the outside world to make incoming connections.
DaveyH
Pro

El reg has a nice take on it here
Basically:
Don't visit dodgy web site, like what ? How do I know it is dodgy?
Don't click on links in email - what but it is from my good friend/bank/Nigerian price  Wink
Review your firewall rules - WTF is a firewall ? Come on this is for non pc literate people.
Backup regularly - always a good idea that is never done.

They left out one of the most basic things Windows users could, should, but rarely ever do and would help mitigate a lot of issues (one that any Linux or OSX user will be familiar with)
Dont run as an administrator.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: w23

Where can I download Linux XP please?  Tongue

Answer.......>  http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Download the .iso file...... burn it to a dvd.... install dvd... it will "play" but not install.... until you click INSTALL Linux 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: DaveyH
They left out one of the most basic things Windows users could, should, but rarely ever do and would help mitigate a lot of issues (one that any Linux or OSX user will be familiar with)
Do you know one reason why they don't
Office 97 doesn't work properly in a non administrator account unless you edit the registry
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257643
How stupid is that
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH

By default the first user on XP (normal not in a domain etc) is an ADMINISTRATOR.  Crazy
We had fun at one school where the driver for a scanner HAD to be run as administrator to use it  Crazy That was fun working out the (windows) policy to allow the driver but disallow anything else.