cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M$S mail and Google mail fail to met the standard (again)

pierre_pierre
Grafter

M$S mail and Google mail fail to met the standard (again)

more evidence on how they dont conform to industry standards http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1799
Our latest Newsletter went out this morning. We had spent the last week improving the layout and introducing a newspaper like style that we thought made it easier to read and more interesting.
However it seems that Microsoft email clients and Google GMail is unable to render the CSS code used to format the email correctly.
Whilst we have used CSS for over a year now, the addition of another column seems to have tipped the balance with those readers that are not fully CSS compliant. Whereas previously it was imperfectly formatted but readable, it is now displayed in a complete jumble!
8 REPLIES
MrC
Grafter

Re: M$S mail and Google mail fail to met the standard (again)

Quote from: pierre_pierre
more evidence on how they dont conform to industry standards

No it's not. Gmail itself doesn't display the final output - it's the browser used to display Gmail.
To be honest dumping a load of CSS driven HTML into something sent out by email and expecting all possible permutations of software along the way (and that includes multiple virus checkers) to display it correctly is flawed and naive. For complex documents such as newsletters you're better off sending out an email with a clickable graphic to direct the user to a web site (or, better still, a pdf to be viewed directly in Acrobat reader).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah I gotta agree there MrC. I think web page design has become so complex in the last 10 7 years that expecting all email systems to be able to parse them and display them properly is a bit foolish. Many windows programs like outlook express struggle to display modern html emails yet alone web based interfaces.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
SparckZero
Grafter

I believe Outlook 2007 uses Word to render HTML e-mails (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) - and Word doesn't strike me as the best HTML renderer out there...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

OE renders it incorrectly as well, Thunderbird is OK
@okrzynska  neither  Thunderbird or OE use a web browser to display, dont know about GMail as I havnt got it
SparckZero
Grafter

@pierre_pierre: gMail is solely web-based, so it'll use whatever browser you're using to render the HTML - I've never had a problem viewing HTML e-mails using gMail in Firefox / Chrome.
Does Thunderbird use the same rendering system as Firefox? I would imagine it does...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I thing so.  When I looked at the offending e-mail in OE the frames where all over the place
mentalist3d
Grafter

Gmail will let you send HTML messages ok, it doesn't let you send CSS based newsletters if the CSS is from an external source (i.e. CSS stylesheet on your server). I don't know if it will send out if the CSS styles are listed in the HEAD section of your HTML as I've never tried it that way.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: pierre_pierre
OE renders it incorrectly as well, Thunderbird is OK
@okrzynska  neither  Thunderbird or OE use a web browser to display, dont know about GMail as I havnt got it

I never said it does. What I did say is that many windows programs such as OE struggle to display html emails yet alone web based interfaces (such as gmail, yahoo mail, hotmail - all viewed through a browser - AKA web based).
FYI, I beleive OE does actually use the same rendering engine as IE which is buried deep inside windows in some .dll. Can't remember the exact name of it as its been years since I've used it myself. What I do know is my screen capture program uses it and displays like IE4 and 5. It doesn't render pages properly which is disappointing!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!