cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lunchtime entertainment - Courtesy The Red Arrows

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Lunchtime entertainment - Courtesy The Red Arrows

Decided to nip down the sea front for a quiet lunch on Southsea Common, today, as the sun was shining, and a light on shore breeze was keeping us cool, we suddenly heard an unusual sound.... Fast Jets, and very low, too,..... They came from behind us, that is, from over the town, then out to sea, towards the Isle of Wight. ..  As usual, I had my camera with me, and as luck would have it, I was taking a shot, in their general direction of a building... so hope these few shots will be  of interest...

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Community Veteran

Re: Lunchtime entertainment - Courtesy of The Red Arrows

Fixes: 125

Beautiful photos, shutter, thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of a day out in Broadstairs in the 70's when we were suddenly given a wonderful display.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Great pictures! The Red Arrows displayed at Lyme Regis yesterday evening. They usually fly over our house (we are under a military air corridor) and I waited outside, camera in hand hoping to get some shots. I never saw them - I think they diverted around a thunder storm. Ah well, better luck next time.

Fixes: 125

They used to frequently fly over our house during practice flights. they flew so low that it felt like they were going to land in our garden Cheesy But that all stopped when Manston Airport was closedCry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Nice photos mr Shutter Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Great pics.

The surprise displays are often the best.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

@shutter

Very enjoyable indeed! Smiley Love to know what camera you were using. You seem to have a sophisticated picture ID method.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Camera is a Panasonic FZ72 with 60 X Optical Zoooooooom !. Not sure what you mean by sophisticated picture ID Method... If you are referring to the size in the file name  ? ?  that is caused by me using FastImageResizer to resize the pics so that they are much smaller files, for sending to the website. A very very fast piece of software, will bulk resize a folder in less than a minute... put them in a subfolder in the original location, and re--number them with the size, so they are easily found and refer back to the original file name.

You can see more of my pics on my Flickr page....  https://www.flickr.com/photos/32369450@N02/

Look for the "Extreme Plane Spotting"  and ship spotting pics ! ! !... oh... and also some shots of the moon ....  to see some ZOOOoooooooooooom pics !

(all good fun ! !)

Most of the pics on my website www.nemosphotography.co.uk were taken with my previous camara.  Panasonic FZ28 with only 18 X Optical Zoom, assisted by a 1.4 telephoto lens in some cases.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

It was the bits before the size. Panny cameras seem to be quite popular now. I recently down sized from a Fuji bridge to a Panny super zoom compac for convenience and less weightt. At age don't need it.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

"the bits before the size "... like 003a.jpg   ( 003.jpg would be the original file number    003a.jpg  will be the "adjusted" version)    suffix made up by me !.. 006AC could be 006. as orignal file number... then AC   could be Adjusted & Cropped ..     ABC could be anything,... just because I couldn`t remember what was done before ! !   same goes for 025CCCB   !... just to differentiate it from other versions that may be in the folder.

not "that" sophisticated ! ! ! GrinGrin

Yes, my first "Bridge" camera was a Fuji... with 10X optical zoom... wanted something better so bought another Fuji with 18X zooom.. was not happy with picture quality, so looked at other makes and got the Panasonic FZ28, with 18 X optical zoom... a couple years on, and along came the 60 X Panasonic FZ72... BRILL camera...

By the way, the orignals of the Red Arrows were shot at 10MPx which increases the max Optical Zoooom to 70.. (plus 4 X digital  if needed).. file size of 003a.jpg was 9.98 MPx    then I cropped some wasted air space, which brought the file size to just under 6Mpx... then I sent it ( along with all the others ) to FastImageResizer by drag and drop onto the desktop icon, bringing the  file size down to 1573KB... in seconds.    no loss of picture quality ...

idonno
Grafter

They used to frequently fly over our house during practice flights. they flew so low that it felt like they were going to land in our garden Cheesy But that all stopped when Manston Airport was closedCry

Your loss, our gain. Grin I'm on the heading out of RAF Scampton and from what you say, they haven't changed much.

Nice photos too Mr Shutter.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.