cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lucky escape - but swimming in this weather - sheesh!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Lucky escape - but swimming in this weather - sheesh!!

3 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Lucky escape - but swimming in this weather - sheesh!!

It's kind of the best weather for swimming, it's not really hot but not really cold either so you won't feel that much of a difference between air temp and sea temp.  When it's hot outside and you jump in the ocean, your body goes OMG IT'S COLD, though sometimes you get a nice drift of warm water sweep by, or maybe that was a mate peeing in the ocean, eww.
<-- is hoping for a hot summer this year
randpwar
Grafter

I’m not sure they were swimming originally. I know Woolacombe beach very well as we spend a marvellous Whitsun holiday there every year along with 10 or so families from the same village that have children roughly the same age. I wonder whether this group were body-boarding in a depth of somewhere between waist and chest high water, as we do quite often, in order to be at the ‘breakpoint’ of the bigger waves and therefore get a longer, faster ride in to the beach, and then found themselves being dragged out by the rip tides that do happen fairly frequently there. Woolacombe beach is a great, great beach and we have tremendous fun each and very time we go there, but, rip tides can occur there seemingly without any warning and can be very powerful. Luckily the lifeguards there are a very professional and diligent group of people and become aware of rip tides starting very quickly. We have been there several times when the lifeguards have gone out in boats to warn people to keep out of a particular part of the water, even though it is between the flags (as this group were), for that very reason. Not many of them appeared to have wetsuits on though, so the point Jim makes is spot on……or maybe our crowd are just softies.  Embarrassed
I hope it doesn’t put anyone off Woolacombe. We have very many happy memories and are looking forward to going there this year. I can’t believe it’s almost a year since I had a Beef and Stilton or Spicy Chicken pasty from the village; they are just so good after a couple of hours in the sea. Usually 4 or 5 real ales in the Red Barn as well; what more do you need?  Smiley
itsme
Grafter

I normally go the other end of the bay, Putsborough, where the waves are for man  Grin and  the rips are strong but a known factor.
Edit surf cams for the area http://www.eyeball-surfcheck.co.uk/putsborough.html