cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Luck.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Luck.

Well I'm having a rotten time computer wise...
Weeks ago we finally got BT to give us a new phone number to stop the nuisance calls. It's been nothing but trouble ever since. We still get nuisance calls - but for different people - but thats not the problem.
BT cocked up the change at the exchange. Engineer had to fix it and then come round. After this our router/modem died (presumably a surge). No worries, I had 4 spares.
Within weeks all 4 spares were dead. By this point I'm getting a little hacked off so I got a modem and router off ebay. Both fine... and now they're starting to go on the blink too. This is the 6th lot of connection hardware I've had and now the computer has mysteriously dropped dead leaving me reliant on my netbook and ethernet cable. I have to keep rebooting the pesky router because it keeps freezing and no traffic gets in or out.
I'm beginning to wish we'd never bothered with our number change because along with still getting nuisance calls their physical configuration blunder and fix seems to be killing my hardware.
/rant
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Luck.

Very much doubt the change of number is frying your modems but as you have a DMM you could measure the DC voltage of the telephone line, this should be 50v. May be worth seeing what the ac voltage at the same time.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Regarding your first sentence about nuisance calls, I guess you have already contacted BT to block these types of call without success but other options such as caller display or going ex directory are alternatives.
I'm sure someone has come up with a device that screen nuisance calls and replies giving them a message, " if you want ........ Press 1. If you want......... press 2"  etc
In short giving them a taste of their own medicine.
If all else fails (but I am not sure if it's true) Leave your phone off the hook after their call as I understand it blocks them from phoning someone else. Perhaps an ex BT forum member can either confirm this last point or is it an urban myth ?
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
If all else fails (but I am not sure if it's true) Leave your phone off the hook after their call as I understand it blocks them from phoning someone else. Perhaps an ex BT forum member can either confirm this last point or is it an urban myth ?

Definitely not true.
4C (ex-BT)
Not young enough to know everything
itsme
Grafter

Not any more but with strowger exchanges only the caller could clear the call which unscrupulous businesses use to use to their advantage by tying  up all the competition lines.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks for confirming that.
I suppose at one time there was an element of truth in it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If I get "unsolicited sales calls"... and they ask for me by name... I usually respond with.... "hang on,... I`ll just go and get him"....
then put the phone down, (but not on the hook), therefore they are paying for a call that is "silent"...
after about 5 minutes, I check to see if they are still there,... usually not..
however, I did get caught out once... Listened on the line,.... it was quiet, so I said, " are you still there?" and I got an answer !.... quick as a flash, I said.... "well you should have got the message by now.... good bye.!"
john50
Grafter

The ones we get now I just make sure I ask them the name of the company they are ringing from (even if they have told me) and how they got the number.
  Then I quite happily tell them this number is registered with the tps I will be reporting them.
Thats if they didn't cotton on when I queried how they got the number as its at that point they usually click on that something is slightly amiss and put the phone down  Wink