Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Luck

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Luck

In general terms what is Luck ?

Is it more about our perception of things than anything else ?

For example it is not uncommon to come across those who constantly complain they have nothing but bad luck and I accept that in some cases that may well be true but in general terms is bad luck just the way some people see things and give no credit to the good luck they may have.

Looking back over my life I would say in general my luck has been good, true I never won millions and had times when I lost good friends through terminal illness including relatives but looking at the bigger picture over my lifetime I feel my luck has on the whole been good.

How would you describe your luck over your lifetime ? Have you had more good luck than bad ?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): All caps title edited as per Forum rules.

16 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: LUCK

Luck ,,,,,,,,,,,,, well yes i have never won the lottery either Undecided  but i have seen and been to places a lot of people never see Wink

even jumped out of few aircraft and am still here at 62 Smiley  thats luck enough for me

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Luck, like beauty is down to the beholder. Like most people here I have had my fair share of bad luck during my lifetime, but equally true I have a my share of good as well. But more than anything I am grateful for each and every day I have. I have a great job that more than pays the bills and I have a loving and supportive family, but is that down to luck or circumstance, or are they in fact one and the same thing?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'm fed up with pushing mine. Laugh

Minivanman
Hero

Well if there is such a thing then I've had some incredible amounts of it in my life - very little bad but lots of good although none of which has made me cash rich.... but maybe that's more good luck given the things that can go wrong when you are rolling in too much dosh.

So if luck was scored on balance over my past seventy plus years then I'd give it nine out of ten and yes, I would come here again. Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

gleneagles wrote:

How would you describe your luck over your lifetime ? Have you had more good luck than bad ?

I will let you know once mine is over Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Luck is nothing more than a statistical probability of something occurring, good or bad, but being the superstitious creatures we are, we assume it's some magical thing that we can will to happen by doing certain things to "bring luck", when it just boils down to a mathematical number... Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

So why do some seem to have more of it than others?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Damned if I know... Funny

Community Veteran

On Saturday I got a free packet of Jordans Super Berry Granola in the post.

Win a pack

Only a little thing but still lucky. I see it as a small win that makes me smile.

I would like a big win but I just this minute checked my premium bonds "Sorry you didn't win"

Oh well, maybe next month.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've had quite a lot of bad luck from day one..

psycho parent, the other one suffered with mental abnormalities, as did my grandparents, the other grandparents i never really knew...

then throughout my youth my remaining parent was always being ill, often exagerating it to get their own way or things done by me so they could have a cushy life.. screwing up my youth in the process along with my education and hopes for the future (and being heavily into psychology they knew what they were doing... that or they're plain thick)... bullied at school for being different... bullied at work... destroyed by the nhs that wanted to leave me suffering... then they nearly killed me when they finally decided to do something after years... damaging other parts of me in the process.. the list kinda goes on but not much point reeling it all off is there.

Then i see these other folks who have everything.. great parents, great grandparents, great jobs, great cars... and they think they're having a rough time of it if they have to cancel one of their 3 holidays per year or their kiddy got told off by the teacher. When you try and point out that it could be worse you get an offensive reply back like "you wouldn't know" or "it's all about you isn't it" and similar pathetic things.

So yes.. there is luck.. good and bad. Those who call it a statistical thing.. you're wrong. Until you've suffered it you've no idea.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

I believe that good luck can be made from bad luck.

I also think that if you expect bad luck then that is more likely what you end up with - doesn't seem to work the other way round, thoughRoll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

7up wrote:

So yes.. there is luck.. good and bad. Those who call it a statistical thing.. you're wrong. Until you've suffered it you've no idea.

I call it a statistical thing, and I've led a pretty "bad luck" life, divorced parents, living life hand-to-mouth, suffering a condition that has caused me to be reclusive, withdrawn and severely depressed, bullied in school, moved back and forth between parents, never being in the same house for longer than 5 years so no sense of "home", so, I know what it's like to live life on the "bad luck" side, so, I know, but it's still mathematical probabilities at the end of the day, luck is for the superstitious... Smiley

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Luck

I think in General you make your own Luck.

With a Positive Attitude, and a general feeling of wellbeing, you influence how life treats you

If you put the effort in, you reap the rewards I find.

As a family, we are blessed with Good Luck most of the time.

But then we are all well educated, with good exam results, University Degrees etc, and excellent on the job training.

Good jobs, with good prospects, and a decent income.

And we give thanks for that.

We help people "down on their luck" and find this helps us be thankful for what we have.

IMHO, in General, we find our staff who are always complaining about their own bad luck, have only themselves to blame.

Of course there are exceptions, for various reasons, such as continued ill health, which can be a "downer"

If someone has little or no control over their life, this can lead to a misconception of Bad Luck.

Life events can construe to give a feeling of bad luck, but is this just an excuse ?

Minivanman
Hero

Re: Luck

Then there is mixing the word luck with chance and opportunity because I'm convinced and would agree with you @Infinity that in general you make your own and, that some people seem to have the ability to either tune in or recognise those chances and opportunities in life that we are all presented with - but then it's back to that 'cup half empty' scenario and one where people will ignore or disregard things right under their noses as not worth the effort. Others grasp it with both hands and are bemused at how others can be so daft as to have not seen it!

Luck or chance, like others I've had my fair share but one case of 'bad luck' I had turned out to be the best thing that ever happened and set out the course of my whole life - so call it what you will, even bad can be the cause of good if you are willing and able to utilise it. 

An interesting discussion @gleneagles Thumbs Up