cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low slung Trousers Fad

Fixes: 47

Low slung Trousers Fad

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it, each to their own but I see young men walking about with their trousers halfway down their backsides with their underpants on display.
What's this all about? Is it rebelling against fashion, society, women or what....I'm genuinely curious as it seems to me most uncomfortable.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
37 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Low slung Trousers Fad

I just don't think they get trousers that fit them. Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sloppiness is the new fashion..... don`t worry, strat..... we are too old to "carry it off"... !  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It's an import from USA prisons where the inmates are given one size fits all trousers while they are incarcerated. Over generous "pants" are saggy amongst the thinner prisons. They continued this as a "badge of honour" when released at the end of their sentence.  It's a gang thing really which has spread to youth elsewhere as a symbol of protest. ..
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 125

I recently watched one of those police shows on ITV4 where a thief was trying to escape with his ill-gotten gains. He was wearing a pair of those 'crotch round your knees' trousers which fell down as he was running and he fell flat on his face with cans of larger flying everywhere. I laughed till I cried Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Thanks for that AlaricAdair.
You learn something new every day Smiley
Community Veteran

In the US is used to be very much something black  people did but now it seems to be every youngster that does it.
Community Veteran

My son and his friends wear their pants in this style and they think they are so cool and stylish.
Just like we did with drainpipes, flares, loons, hipsters, bags. bib & brace....need I go on?

We did keep our underwear where it belongs.....but I'm old fashioned Sad
I noticed your reference to pants Brian, is that the American pants or the British pants? Wink
How's life treating you these days...well I hope Smiley
Community Veteran

I'm old fashioned too Dick but perhaps the modern underwear is more fashionable (and expensive) than white Y fronts.
When I said pants I meant trousers of course, seems like the American words have stuck with me. However I do refrain from using words like "gotten" and "awesome"
I am doing OK, not setting the world on fire, but struggling along with both kids at university .
I hope you are enjoying your retirement.

Best thing that happened to me for a long time Smiley Gives me more time with the family which can't be bad.
I wasn't criticising current dress sense just curious as to where the custom originated Smiley I now have an answer.  Smiley
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
I recently watched one of those police shows on ITV4 where a thief was trying to escape with his ill-gotten gains. ...

This one?
http://club937.com/robber-drops-beer-and-pants-video/
James
Grafter

I remember this being in fashion in the mid nineties when I was still in school, so it's not a particularly new thing.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: alanf
Quote from: Mav
I recently watched one of those police shows on ITV4 where a thief was trying to escape with his ill-gotten gains. ...

This one?
http://club937.com/robber-drops-beer-and-pants-video/

That's the one.
@jameseh
MC Hammer with U Can't Touch This comes to mind. But at least you couldn't see his underwear!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I don't recall anyone at my Secondary School doing this In the mid nineties, Each to their own I guess. Sad