cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lotto 5th October

Fixes: 125

Lotto 5th October

Rather than resurrect an old thread I decided to start this one...
Just logged in to National Lottery to see a message about the new costs starting on 5th October.
There is an option to accept and continue with the Direct Debit payment at double what it currently is or cancel. I chose to cancel.
Currently I do two lucky dips on a Saturday and a set of numbers I've used since first draw. I will start a new DD just for the numbers I've had for 19 years.
I aslo stopped buying the odd ticket online since they upped the minimum deposit to £10.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

82 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Lotto 5th October

I`ve stopped doing the national lottery, as it is basically a con and just puts money into camelot....  who give "some" away for "good causes"...
I now do the Health Lottery.... prizes are not so big, but still get a tenner for the 3 numbers like on Lotto... and they are not increasing the price of a ticket...
peter10
Grafter

I have 2 lines on Saturday. I will certainly stop doing Lotto  when it doubles and possibly put my year's funding into premium bonds. With PN line rental and lotto everything seems to be increasing at a higher rate than the official inflation rate (apart from my pension of course).
Community Veteran

Saw something on telly a couple of days ago that Premium Bonds are reducing the number of prizes too.... so less chance of getting something from them... only good thing... ( I suppose) is that you can actually cash them back in... and get your money back... unlike any lotto ! ..
Community Veteran

I will change to the Health Lottery.  I see no justification for doubling the stake in the National Lottery.  I hope a lot of others vote with their feet also Wink
peter10
Grafter

Hi shutter. I saw that the prize fund for premium bonds was dropping but as you said at least you can get your money back even if it has depreciated. However Savings Accounts are paying so little interest because they don't need savers money as they are getting cheap money from the Bank of England's Funding for Lending scheme so may try premium bonds. I already have a £1 bond which was given to me on my 21st birthday but it hasn't come up yet!
Community Veteran

Premium Bond page....
http://www.nsandi.com/savings-premium-bonds
minimum investment  £100.00

If you set up a Direct Debit Standing Order then you can buy them in lots of £50.
I sent a registration form off a few weeks ago so that I could do just that.
Investment limits
Minimum
The minimum for each investment is £100, or £50 if you invest by standing order. Each investment must be in whole pounds.
Maximum
You can invest a maximum of £30,000.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

peter10
Grafter

If you use standing order I think that you have to invest  at least £50 a month which is more I wish to. I only spend £2 a week so I will go for a one off £100 investment.

I spoke to someone at nsandi and he said you can make one SO payment then cancel, then set up another at a later stage, etc. There was no commitment to £50 each month.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Slightly off topic - but still about lottery.

Euromillions made 100 millionaires one week.
How much better to make One million £100 prizes?  You'd actually feel you had a chance of winning something. Wink
Community Veteran

Like others I will change to the Health Lottery.
At £2 a punt I feel it's been raised for no other reason than to bring it inline with the euro lottery.
Maybe its camelsnots plan to make even more profit by combining them?
Anyway the jump to £2 is a step too far.
I'm hoping many will jump ship just to see what they will do when profits drop.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Lottery.....
I don't need to work any more !!  Cool
Fixes: 47

Quote from: shutter
Premium Bond page....
minimum investment  £100.00

I have a couple of £1 premium bonds from around 1956.
I guess they are no use now Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

Nope, they are still valid and go into the draw each month.
I have £15 worth dated from 1960 that are still entered in each draw and, because I lost the original paperwork, I recently requested a Premium Bonds Record from NS&I. This details their relevant numbers (in my case a block of 10 and a block of 5).
Oh - in 53 years these bonds have won me....

Absolutely nothing Shocked