cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lottery conundrum.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Lottery conundrum.

You’re minding your own business at home when you get a one off opportunity to time travel you know there is no point in going back in time, as that’s now history, so you decide to go forward to the night of the next lottery results so you can watch the draw and buy a ticket with the winning numbers and take care of yourself and your family for the rest of your time.

Your request is granted and you now find yourself in the TV studio on the night of the lottery draw. As the guy is reading out the numbers you pick up a bit of paper to write them down, but at the end he says ‘Early indications show that there are no Jackpot winners’.

Now is this because this is the future before you’ve bought the ticket, after all you’ve only just written down the numbers, so you can’t have bought a ticket yet or is there another reason? I know what my thoughts are but what are yours?

33 REPLIES
mikelahey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: Lottery conundrum.

When you go back in time the paper is blank as you haven't written on it yet, therefore there are no winners because you you didn't remember the numbers as you had written them down.

Other explanation is you went back to the past and decided not to buy a ticket as there are no winners.

Community Veteran

When you go back in time...

As you cross the road to buy the ticket you are flattened by the number seven bus,

The last thing you hear is a voice saying that will teach you to mess with time.

Community Veteran

@mikelahey - Well I was think more of the fact that you wouldn't have the paper, as if you took it back with you it wouldn't be there for you to pick up in the first place.

@billnotben - As funny as that is it isn't an option as if he did get killed by a bus he wouldn't be alive to be in the studio.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

ahh but he would its called the butterfly effect, if you go back from the future any change you make will alter the time space continuum in a special way.

your cells will remember everything that they witnessed and your mind will fracture if you don't die because as the time space continuum changes it cant change the genetic markers of your body where they information is stored thus you will die because of your inadvertent meddling....

if I had the chance to time travel  I would ask only to see the future 100 years from now to see how far things progress knowing full well I wouldn't be able to alter that direction one iota but knowledge is power as they say and my moving 100 years forward for a few minutes and then reversing back to my lounge would make no difference at all

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

@nanotm - Not to sure if I agree with the first two paragraphs, sounds to me like it's taken straight from a film or book. As regards going forward in time I don't think that would work either, as depending the age you are when you travel forward chances are you'd die within those 100 years.

And saying that your going forward in time would make no difference is in contradiction to the previous paragraph. Even without any interference on your behalf, you have yourself witnessed the future which, as you say, will lead to your death.

nanotm
Pro

ahh but death comes to all so there's nothing to fear from that,

the question concerns the ability to freely travel forwards and backward in time, the wish thus granted permits one return trip, the fact its a return trip suggests that some how or another you will move through the time space continuum and return to a moment after you left, your body retains biological markers of everything you see hear feel smell touch or taste, so anything you experience in that regard in the future will stay with you, chooseing to move to a point far enough forwards that your unlikely to exist prevents a paradox from beign possible, it also means there no point in you attempting to alter the present in order to prevent something you know nothing about from ahppenign in the future, all your doing is seeing what people and so on look like in the future or if they stil lexist, has space travel become reality etc.

unless your in a position of power in some way shape or form (political leader /business leader etc) you have no ability to influence the future, by seeing the future will do something to cause it or do something to change it , the fact you saw it means that whatever you do guarantees it happens you cannot change the outcome once it becomes known, all you can do is die knowing that it happened regardless of anything you do because you made it fact and fated it ....

Community Veteran

Who said anything about a return trip?

What paradox are you referring to?

Also if there is some future event you know nothing about then logic alone says that trying to alter it is pointless as you do not know what you are altering.

To say that no one without power is unable to influence the future is nonsense.

Fixes: 124

Although the idea of time travel fascinates me I have a very linear approach to it.

I also believe that time travel is and will always remain impossible:

You can't go to the past because your being there means your molecules would displace the molecules already there so where would they end up? You can't go into the future because it simply hasn't arrived yet.

As to the OP (if time travel could exist)... early indications doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a winner. That would happen once he goes back to his own time and buys a ticket with the winning numbers and wait for time to catch up.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro

what would really bake your noodle though is the question,

if you didn't know what the future holds would you make the same choices again or did that knowledge of the future cause you to make the choices you did when you on your death bed....

a paradox would be possible if your future self saw your present self, you being in the audience of a film studio scribbling on a bit of paper the results of that nights lotto would increase the likelihood of the paradox happening causing you to cease to exist....

Community Veteran

I tend to agree with you @Mav regarding the possibility of time travel, but assuming it was possible and based on what you said then the only thing you could do to go back in time would be to reverse it, so you (your molecules) would be in the same place as before so no disturbance would occur. Of course this then means that you could not deviate from this line of travel and you could only go back in time to your point of conception thus rendering the trip pointless, as you have 'been there, done that'.

I know early indications isn't set in concrete but was used deliberately to 'seed' the thread. Of course who is to say that if future time travel were possible, it too may be futile as as you return from the future these events are getting undone so who is to say your own experience of them does not get undone as well. How could you retain a memory of an event in the past that is still to happen some time in the future.

nanotm
Pro

@Mook

that's where the fractured mind effect ala twelve monkeys comes from, you cant prevent something because you cant remember it, but if you could remember it you couldn't stop it because it was already pre ordained ....

Community Veteran

Since no one knows what the future holds then the choices you make are of course self fulfilling.

Community Veteran

@nanotm - 12 Monkeys is a film IIRC, but memory tells me that the character is to go back in time to stop a plague, but we all know that can't happen, because if he does stop this plague then he doesn't need to be sent back in time to stop it! Now that's a paradox.

nanotm
Pro

that's why travel to a time where you already exist wont work wither forwards or backwards, you would need to move through time to a point where you don't exist in order to have any chance of not creating a paradox, otherwise your biggest risk is going insane /