cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lottery Winners

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Lottery Winners

I Wonder why people who win the lottery choose to make the information public ?
No doubt you get free champagne and lots of people telling you how wonderful you are but it seems a number of those going public have ended up in a much worse state several years later with nothing to show for their winnings and ended up bankrupt along with other problems.
And no I've not won this week...  but there is always next week. Smiley
34 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Lottery Winners

What`s your address ?  I`ll add it to my round robin begging letter  Cheesy
greyposter
Grafter

I would keep my big win secret. Begging letters, burglary target and hustling press.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've often wondered too. Sure, everyone likes a bit of good news but when you win some insane amount like £30-40million, surely you're advertising yourself as a target for begging letters and even sinister criminal acts?
If it were me, I don't think I'd go public, I'd stay quiet, stash it all in the bank and be done with it. Sure, the press will be advertising like crazy "Do you know the winner?" etc but we'd keep it so quiet they'd never stand a chance of finding out who it is. My partner is very secretive about our financial affairs even to their closest family. I'd probably bribe the bank manager to keep quiet though lol.
Would we spend any straight away? Sure we would but nothing immediately obvious that would raise suspicion. Maybe another second hand car, new sofa, etc but then we'd probably just move to an area where no-one knows us (or our income level) and no-one there would be any the wiser anyway. 6 months down the line when the media have forgotten about it is the time to relax from hiding and start living a little. IMO it's those first six months that make the difference and if you can stretch out the media attention that long they'll get bored and drop it. During those few months you just have to carry on living on the same pretend budget you were already on so people don't become suspicious. Obviously if you suddenly park a new Ferrari outside the door a week after an annonymous win then people are going to get suspicious aren't they.
Years ago I remember hearing of a family who had won, gone public, gone to claim etc and got home to find everything had been nicked - absolutely everything. Then there is the potential for pets to be targetted / stolen and held to ransom, family members etc etc. IMO it just isn't worth the hassle. Buy yourself a new nice house sure but don't tell anyone and don't move into it straight away either. Leave it six months and then "oh a relative of mine left me their house..." kinda thing.
It does however make me wonder how many people use hired actors and actresses to take their place for publicity purposes.. surely Camelot are prepared for future consequences and would secretly offer this service to winners?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

I never play a lottery...
You've got to be in it to lose it Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
hadden
Grafter

I wonder if there's a correlation between people who go public about a lottery win and those people who publish their lives on so called social networking services.
James
Grafter

I know for certain that if I ever won the lottery I definitely wouldn't tell anyone outside my immediate family and most definitely would not go to press!
Would just result in every Tom, Dick and Harry pestering for some freebies.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: James
I know for certain that if I ever won the lottery I definitely wouldn't tell anyone outside my immediate family

Apart from SWMBO doubt if I'd tell anyone, including my 18 year old daughter who would be set for life with inheritance but I wouldn't want money to spoil her or her relationships.
Maybe will have enough to buy a little island somewhere Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I think Camelot try to get all winners to go public - it's good publicity for them  Smiley

If I remember correctly you automatically agree to go public for a jackpot win when you purchase a Euro-millions ticket.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Razer
Grafter

I'm an intensely private person; the idea of exposure is just awful to me and I have never understood those who won the lottery doing so. If I won I'd just ship out, somewhere, anywhere.
Community Veteran

Quote from: James
I know for certain that if I ever won the lottery I definitely wouldn't tell anyone outside my immediate family and most definitely would not go to press!

I wouldn't tell any of the family at all. As you say, they'll start wanting freebies and things taking care of.. then the next thing you know they're out spending wrecklessly expecting you to be a slave to their new found shopping hobby. Stuff that! The only person who would know if I won is my parter and thats it. Likewise I know if swmbo won, it would also be the same deal as neither of us could cope with the unwanted hassle.
PS if you do win James remember me for a freebie eh?  Wink  Grin
Community Veteran

We have a lottery winner living nearby.  He had 4 or 5 houses built and gave them to his close family.  It's a small private estate he's created complete with electronic gates.

That's a good idea - may do that for a few of my family members...

...on Alcatraz Cheesy Cool

Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
We have a lottery winner living nearby.  He had 4 or 5 houses built and gave them to his close family.  It's a small private estate he's created complete with electronic gates.

You know something, thats actually a really nice idea - assuming you have a good family.
Quote from: Mav
That's a good idea - may do that for a few of my family members...

...on Alcatraz Cheesy Cool

LOL!  Cheesy  Grin