Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of new planets discovered...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26362433
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
12 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Lots of new planets discovered...

All them rumors about other planets from many a moon a go, has been proven to have come true Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Should I be worried?  Undecided
TORPC
Grafter

Us earthling's are to be doomed or not to be doomed that is the noblest remark Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It was always only a matter of time before we found new planets out there. It ould be selfish of us to think we're the only ones in the universe on our own special little planet.
There must be thousands of other species out there in our one galaxy alone. My only hope is that I live long enough (and that it happens in our life time) to see the first extra terrestrial planet walk on TV from another solar system. Somehow I don't see that happening for a few hundred years though  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

It would be very nice if we do have the chance to witness such a wonderful event
I agree that it may not be seen for a very long time yet
I wonder how many other species that are out there, & if they will all be a friendly bunch
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well the historical evidence for the very short time humans have been around is that we're not very friendly, extra-terrestrials would be well advised to stay away from Earth..
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
TORPC
Grafter

I wonder it sometimes their crafts AKA UFO'S can be seen exploring our planet
&
If they have in reality landed on earth as some as reported
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter

Should I be worried?  Undecided

More discovered planets will reduce the value of the 5 square miles of the moon I bought from that guy down in the Kings Arms last summer. It was a great price but I had to pay in cash.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 125

They'd have to be extremely advanced to travel the distances required to reach us.
Which begs the question... If they are that advanced why would they be interested in us?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Number mentioned by the BBC is slightly wrong upto date figure here
But the (current) answer (N) to Frank Drake's equation is still 1 ....................................

N = R * fp * ne * fl * fi * fc * L
R = the average rate of star formation in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fl = the fraction of planets that could support life that actually develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of planets with life that actually go on to develop intelligent life (civilizations)
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

That's the pessimistic view of the equation.  If you take the original higher range values, N comes out as 36.4 million Smiley
That's a lot of civilisations Smiley
That's quite a fun wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
They'd have to be extremely advanced to travel the distances required to reach us.
Which begs the question... If they are that advanced why would they be interested in us?

The same reasons as we are curious of them Smiley