cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost in translation.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Lost in translation.

Right,I have a problem (who said "only one?"). My wife has a tablet,a generic one-no brand name, and it had reverted to Chinese.
The battery ran out, she put it on to charge. Started it and when it booted out was all in Chinese. It appears to have rooted itself. There is only the android OS on there (I think), all the other preloaded stuff had gone. The demo video, the games etc.
My problem is many fold. I do not speak Chinese. The only word I recognise is "Google". I cannot connect to the Wi-Fi (I have no idea how to find the connection ).
Any suggestions apart from the blindingly obvious (find a Chinese person to put it onto English).
Strange one this, if a mod feels it better on hardware or software forums please move it. Thanks.
17 REPLIES
WTF
Grafter

Re: Lost in translation.

If you know where to find another tablet of the same brand that still works in English, you could replicate every interaction on there to see the English.
I used to do that with machines in Japan: go through everything with an English language machine next to the Japanese one and replicate the actions between them.
Community Veteran

Unfortunately I don't, however I'm not sure that would work.
Before this happened, when it was new, on starting it went straight onto a language selection box. This doesn't have this option any longer.
I can see I'm going to have to find a Chinese speaking person.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Should not be too difficult... lots of chinese takeaways about ? ? ?  Wink
nanotm
Pro

contact the place you purchased it and get them to send you a new OS file ?
my sons tablet did that last year a month before it stopped working completely (but it was a scroll and there terrible for that) but all credit to scroll they sent me an ftp link so I could download the OS (configured as per the tablet) complete with instruction on how to perform the reload, then they replaced it when it completely failed, of course I went out and bought a different make/model when that one failed after 4 months as well.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I am sure you tried this - even though you didn't want blindingly obvious suggestions - but have you tried Google for a video of how to change it
WTF
Grafter

Interesting titbit for you: a Japanese person would also be able to help as Japanese Kanji characters are almost identical to traditional Chinese characters - e.g. the character for a horse is read as "Uma" by a Japanese person and "Ma" by a Chinese person.
When I was working with Japanese machines, my Chinese colleagues could read everything written in Kanji, they just read it as Chinese rather than Japanese.
Community Veteran

Is there a factory re-set button available? Can the user manual help?
nanotm
Pro

in some models (allwinner based CPU's) you do a factory reset by connecting a data charge lead to a pc and then perform a hard boot (press and hold the on/off button +volume button) and it boots into the pc install menu letting you perform config changes in English except the manual is in chingris and doesn't mention it .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star

Community Veteran

Thanks guys. Still at work but have formulated a plan.
First, find out how to do factory reset on this tablet.
Then, when I'm comfortable with that, follow some of the videos on YouTube. That way I can always factory reset if I change it to Urdu or Swahili...  Grin
Thanks again guys.
Community Veteran

Thanks PWatson, the first video I saw was from that site. Going to be mutt first attempt. Hopefully final attempt too.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: doris
if I change it to Urdu or Swahili...   Grin

I can help there Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Clever Dick Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

Woo-Hoo....back in English. Cheesy
BUT...(there's always a but) though I can access web, download etc,I cannot access Google playstore. Clicking the icon simply causes the screen to go black, as if to connect, then revert back to the previous page. I have done a search and apparently if your device doesn't have Google playstore pre-installed, you cannot download it yourself. You can only download updates or roll-back versions.
So now I have to do a system restore (back to the Chinese) and hopefully the data stored in the restore section isn't corrupted. Failing that, contact the supplier.
I'm seriously tempted to buy a new one - but I will NOT be beaten. Angry