cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost in Sheffield

jmd
Grafter

Lost in Sheffield

I went to Manchester today to attend a Funeral of an old neighbour from where I lived before.  Going from Worksop used the Woodhead Pass and had no traffic problems. Took 1 hr 40 minutes.
.  Coming back first got stuck for 30 minutes at the end of the M67 where everybody in the world wants to go through Mottram in Longdendale............... eventually got through and though that I would return via A57.  Last time I did that the way through Sheffield was clearly marked to Worksop.
So, this afternoon though got to Sheffield and there was a diversion off the A57.  Being naive I thought it would bring me back onto right road.  However, the sign said diversion end but there were no directions as whether you went straight ahead for Centre or what.  Thinking ahead looked right I did so and ended up going past Botanical Gardens and then at Hunters Bar[?] but still not knowing where I was going I decided to follow a bus that said City Centre.  That took me a nice tour of the area too..........
eventually I found the Centre and found a sign to Worksop/A57!  took me nearly 30 minutes though.to get through Sheffield.  Time taken to return 2 hrs 40 minutes.
Why did I go that way - the Woodhead Pass would have been much much quicker!!
But most of all why don't Sheffield City Council tell you the way when a diversion ends?
5 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Lost in Sheffield

dont worry they are not the only ones
Went to a craft Club night a couple of Tuesdays ago, along the A1017 - Braintree to Haverhill road, just comming into Sibble Hedingham  A1124 - Hasted road, Workers setting up diversion signs, road closed overnight for resurfacing, Just got through OK, but wondered about the return trip at 22:00 it would be dark
A lot of other Club members what the H--l got out the maps and try to work out where we go, it affect people going to Chelmsford, Colchester, Shalford, Braintree
Drove down to Castle Hedingham, yup road closed, turn left, down the road oh hell no roadsigns, lucky me had a good sat nav.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

forgot I had my tracker on that night, I made one mistake, should have gone through Halstead and not back toward Hedingham
N/A

What I usually do to avoid Sheffield City Centre and Broomhill area is to divert off the A57 onto Rivelin Valley Road.  This takes you through Malin Bridge and Hillsborough but you will then soon get onto the Parkway via Shalesmoor which is (of course) within spitting distance of our very own Plusnet Towers (well, not jmdlp's now that she has flown off into the Sky).
Once on the Parkway the A57 is soon picked up again.
Fixes: 47

May I apologise on behalf of Sheffield City Council Traffic Division for the utter confusion created in recent years for visitors and residents alike in the city centre.
I've lived here 62 years and I get lost in parts of the centre that have been heavily redeveloped.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

Thanks Strat - good to know that even residents get confused and lost there too!

ps must remeber to put South Yorkshire road atlas in car when next crossing Sheffield.  Mind you that is probably out of date a few months after publication.................