cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Treats

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Lost Treats

As a young lad I was addicted to a particular brand of symbol biscuits, very crispy with salt on top...once the packet was open I had to eat the lot, no doubt there are similar biscuits on the market today but like chocolate they taste nothing like what was available 50 years ago.

Is there anything you remember as a favourite food or treat that is either unavailable now or is available but changed so much in taste it is nothing like the original ?

50 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Lost Treats

Spangles stick in my memory but I have not seen them in years. Times and taste changes of course but as well as being much smaller and packed in elongated wrapping, I find Mars Bars incredibly sweet now. Wagon Wheels were delicious in memory but tasting one a couple of years ago 'for old times sake' and it tasted just yuk...... as well as costing far more than the 3d it once did.   

Anybody remember Caramac chocolate? Not seen that for years either and just to make you all jealous, we have a collection of original Rowntrees tall round sweet jars dating from before the last war that the wife's father had on his shelves full of sweets for sale in his Cafe. Perfect for keeping pasta, porridge oats and the like in now. Smiley  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Minivanman wrote:

Anybody remember Caramac chocolate?

Yeah, had one a few weeks back... Grin

Wasn't as good as when I was younger, the 90s was probably the last decade when things tasted "like they used to", even Smiths Salt & Shake don't taste right either...

Community Veteran

Yes Caramac is in the Pound shops. I'm tempted to buy one but like other chocolate and as twocvbloke has said its probably changed.

Didn't wagon wheels used to be more biscuity?

One thing I found that seems to taste the same is Fry's chocolate cream.

Fixes: 121

Used to love Club biscuits as one end always had a lot more chocolate than the other. Last time I bought one a couple of years ago I was disappointed.

Can you still get sherbet pips?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

As for size and those now elongated Mars Bars wrappers I mentioned earlier, just opened up a packet of 'So Malty' lunchbox loaves snack bought from Aldi....

Length of wrapper five inches, length of mini malt loaves - two and half inches and yes I need to get out more, but what a blinking swizz.   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 47

When I received my paper round pay on Saturday (£1-1s) I would head for the penny tray.

However if I was really tempted then I would ask for a quarter of sugared almonds to be weighed out for 10p.

I could get a portion of fish and chips at the chip shop next door for 10p but I love sugared almonds.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Minivanman wrote:

Spangles stick in my memory but I have not seen them in years.

Yeah I remember they stuck everywhere, even to their wrappers!

Anybody remember Caramac chocolate? Not seen that for years either

Yes Caramac is still alive and well and readily available. Com to think of it I don't think the recipe has ever changed. I still eat it quite often being my favourite chocolate and notice they now even do Caramac Buttons which are really moreish.

Anyone remember Coconut Tobacco? It came in a little pouch as i recall much lie rolling tobacco and was shredded coconut with a reddish brown sugar coating.

Just found this photo which brings back memories climbing the conker tree at our local church, I munched a lot of this stuff up there.

3586b49c3fb53ed5123051538019706f.jpg

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Walnut Whip was another favourite, you don't see them very often these days. Kinda reminds me of cold frosty mornings or taking an ice bath.. Grin Without the nut of course!

Walnut Whip (1).jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

We used to get a bar of chocolate made by Milk Tray, the bar itself was rectangular but instead of chunks of chocolate they had the fillings and shapes you’d get in a proper box of Milk Tray. It would be great to see these back on the shelves, and in my stomach.

Another thing was ‘Fair Maid’ Caramels, ooh they were good.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Yes I remember those, incidentally if you do a Google image search you'll find almost any of these old products.

raw-1339156710.jpg

MKSlinky wrote:

Walnut Whip was another favourite

Used to love those but just about anything with nuts in does it for me.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Squirrel poo?

Emphasis on "just about" Wink

Having said that, there are some very strange things eaten by folk around the world so Squirrel poo may well be a delicacy somewhere.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@MKSlinky - It's odd that the back of the wrapper on left says 'Coconut Ice' while on the right it says 'Cokernut Ice' or do I need to 'see' the optician?

Also, now that I see the wrapper I'm salivating just thinking of those tastes. Yum.