cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Treats

Community Veteran
Fixes: 45

Re: Lost Treats

@Minivanman - That I can't say as I've never heard of that one before, I'm not as old as you might think. :wink:

@petlew - They may well have changed the flavours overtime I guess, and too far back in time to know for sure. But I do know I liked them, shame they still aren't made.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Not that old @Mook

A quick check and it seems they were still being sold in 1976 :smiley:

https://pocketbookuk.com/2013/11/26/frys-five-boys/

Mayfly
Pro

Fry's Five Boys Chocolate, that brings back memories :smiley:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Staying on the Fry's theme for a moment; remember the chocolate bar that was laminated with milk and dark chocolate layers? I think that was a Fry's product as well. I always thought Fry's THE tastiest chocolate.

Someone mentioned the "Penny" sweets, there were shrimps (5 or 3 for a penny 1d) that were almost neat pink coloured sugar.

An odd one, I think was called Spanish Wood; a stick about six inches long dark brown on the outside with a greenish very fibrous inner, that was the devil to chew. I have a vague recollection this stuff was banned for a reason I don't remember, but its possible some of its contents may have been, well, shall we say mildly drug related.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I also have memories of a Splicer Bar, this was a fruit flavoured chew bar and a Texan bar, whose flavour I can't recall, along with a Cabana that was mostly coconut with cherry and caramel.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

IMG_20170208_0001_NEW.jpg

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

:thumbsup: for Cabana, loved those but hated the cherries!

This should wet your taste buds...

Cabanas.jpg

a1355231fdae2bee8591383867ab98db.jpg

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Looking at all these old product photos makes me laugh, it's hard to imagine how prices have increased over the years. And since when did Cadbury's do a plain flake? I never saw those.

70s Chocolate Bars.JPG.opt500x350o0,0s500x350.JPG

Someone also mentioned these earlier... yuk!!

frys5centre.jpg

Community Veteran

I've just taken to the Rowntree website and emailed them asking if the would resurrect the Cabana bar. Well if you don't ask you don't get.

Updating this post as no one else has posted since, well I got a reply back from Rowntree saying:

Unfortunately we had to withdraw Cabana Bar from our range some time ago as sales were relatively low. It was a difficult decision for us because we are proud of all our products and do not like to disappoint our consumers. As far as we know, the brand teams have no plans at present to re-introduce this line, however we will pass your comments on to them.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to contact us and for your loyalty to our products. We hope you will continue to enjoy our products in the future.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thank you MKslinky for confirming the make-up of Fry's Five Centre: pineapple, orange, lime, raspberry and strawberry.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
agedgopher
Pro

@Minivanman should not have mentioned Spangles. I loved them especially the Old English Flavours.

Just how much nostalgia has this thread raised.

Community Veteran

@petlew wrote:

... An odd one, I think was called Spanish Wood; a stick about six inches long dark brown on the outside with a greenish very fibrous inner, that was the devil to chew. I have a vague recollection this stuff was banned for a reason I don't remember, but its possible some of its contents may have been, well, shall we say mildly drug related.

Was it this?  : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tree-Life-Spanish-Root-Liquorice/dp/B00AIH4CVI

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I used to like the pineapple bit in that. I had forgotten about that bar.

I still like and get the walnut whips but I miss the coffee version and the extra walnut that used to be inside.

I used to like licorice and all the variety of shapes they used to come in from pipes which probably went out with the ciggy sweets to catherine wheels.which was great for whipping your mates when you unwound them.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Anyone remember these?

Pink Panther Strawberry flavour chocolate..., yummy!

download (1).jpg

Not forgetting this one, my dad's favourite.

0fbec3101b039e060d92f27cbdf5a204.jpg

Maybe we should start another thread for games of yesteryear or even drinks? I used to love Tizer and at Christmas my mum would by Raisin Cordial which was heavenly. I did look that up a while back and it seems many people still miss it, if only someone would start making it again.

Fixes: 344

Bad news liquorice allsorts.  A good stock of loo paper required.

If I get a box given to me as a gift it's a nightmare trying to leave it alone.

Used to get through loads of liquorice root though.

Edit: corrected wayward spell checker.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 70.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.