cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Christmas movie

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Lost Christmas movie

This is one for the oldies. I'm trying to locate an old Christmas TV movie that doesn't seem to appear in any listing I can find having spent hours trawling Google.

Firstly I know it does exist because I had a bookmark link for it for years. Unfortunately the PC that had it suffered a catastrophic meltdown and the link was lost to me.

Anyway onto the film; it was based on the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas" but it wasn't named that. It was silent, inasmuch there was no dialogue, the verses of the song played on the soundtrack though.

The film was shown several years running just before Christmas on what was the old commercial channel ATV during the period mid sixties to mid seventies, it may have been shown in Black and white - however my bookmarked version was in colour -

The film was in a Victorian/Edwardian setting, on the first day of Christmas a young nervous man arrived at his girl-friends house bearing a "Partridge in a pear tree" in keeping with the words of the song.

On the second day the man arrived with "Two turtle doves" and another "Partridge in a pear tree" each day he arrived on a different mode of transport ranging from bone-shaker bicycle, penny farthing and various different vintage motor cars.

The third day he brought "three French hens" another pair of "Turtle doves" and yet another "Partridge in a pear Tree". You can see where this is going now, each day he arrived to the bemusement of the girl with the subject of each verse, plus another of each of the following verses. To take an example; by the end of verse twelve there were forty "maids-a-milking" (verse eight) and their cows packed into the house, not to mention one hundred and twelve "Lords-a-leaping"

To say it was hilarious is an understatement, I would love to have this back in my bookmarks again (backed-up this time)

It happens I think this is not the first time this film has featured in this forum, I have a vague memory a long (long) time ago I posted the link, when I had it, to another interested member. I have dredged the archives but can't find it.

Does anybody else remember this film, or indeed do you have a link for it, can anybody help?   please

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Lost Christmas movie

As an oldie I cannot recall seeing it, Have to tried this site on your archive search?

http://player.bfi.org.uk/genres/

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 125

Is this the film you are talking about?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Yes indeed it is Mav. I'm indebted to you, I don't have a younger sister I can let you have, but you've made an old man very happy.

I couldn't actually get your link to work, but changing my Google search to "On the twelfth day of Christmas by Robert Searle" found it very rapidly as a You Tube entry.

What I had forgotten was that it didn't come in one clip but was broken up into three clips. There is a fourth clip of 23 minutes that may be the whole thing in one sitting, but I haven't had time to find out yet. Also it may have been first seen by me much earlier than 60's - 70's as the film is dated 1955. And it was Channel 4 not ATV.

Is there a simple way of transferring this to DVD?

PS. all the clips are now in my bookmarks and backed up.

Thanks again Mav.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

A recording by Frank Kelly on a similar theme with male recipient becoming more and more agitated with each delivery of gifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbejNNCTr7k

Community Veteran

Wow! now you are dredging the history, but I think you may be right.

Having looked, the 23 minute clip is the whole thing.

@petlew

Glad that was the correct film but not sure why the link didn't work for you.

Probably the easiest way to burn a YT video to DVD would be to use Freemake Video Converter

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Community Veteran

@shutter

Not personally, but its close to being SWMBO's favourite channel, especially very early in the morning when I leave a movie on for her when I go off to work. But not on Freeview though. I have Freeview on three devices but never use it on any of them. We use Sky for everything - it costs enough, so we get all we can from it -. Actually I find the channel change delay in Freeview a bit frustrating after using the fast changing Sky. The ability to record two channels at the same time with Sky Plus occasionally useful.

Uhmm!! I must admit Freeview has a very occasional use in certain violent weather conditions when Sky can go off line for a short while.

Minivanman
Hero

There also that old (English I think) movie that the French traditionally put out each Christmas about an increasingly drunk butler. Anybody know what that one is called? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.

@Minivanman

Think it's called Dinner for one.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

*checks calender*

Nope, still October, Christmas denied... Smiley

Community Veteran

@Mav

You have a knack for finding things, try this one...

One of my favourite comedy actresses Beryl Reid was in a very funny two woman Christmas TV sketch many years ago that featured who was going to pull the last Christmas cracker. I don't remember who she appeared with though.

No luck on that one so far. The only two women I found she was in sketches with were Joan Sims and Sheila Hancock. No mention of the sketch you described, though.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Possibly in this programme?

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/b64727df90cf4e4b9de8b10885bb1c94

Not young enough to know everything