Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of acceleration

Fixes: 125

Loss of acceleration

Nissan Primera 1.8 Petrol.
Here's the deal....
I indicate to to pull out, shift from 5th to 4th, accelerate and...
Well, it's difficult to describe except, as my late father would say, someone's put a 'kangaroo in your tank'!
Basically the engine seems to struggle to maintain power. Stop indicating and all is fine.
This problem first reared it's ugly head two years ago and was apparently solved with a replacement circuit board of some description somewhere and all has been fine since then.
Another issue which may or may not be related but which also started about the same time two years ago and has never been solved is that when I indicate left I get a beep beep sound which coincides with the dashboard light turning on/off. Next time I indicate right then I get one beep only. I then no longer get any beeps when indicating right until I indicate left once more when it all starts again.
Last time Nissan looked into it, two years ago, they said the entire dashboard would need to be taken out to check all the electrics which would have been prohibitively expensive.
Any clues as to what this may be?
I have a long drive to the airport Wednesday morning and it's got me a little worried.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Loss of acceleration

You could do worse, than browse through this....
http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/
join it... and post  your query, ... if you can`t find it.... !  Wink

Thanks for that link, shutter.
Posted my query and it seems that it's a well-known earthing issue.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yay!... I guessed it might have been a "common problem"... I am on the Briskoda  (pronounced    "brisk" Skoda ¬) forum.... and find it very useful....
A common fault that is not in the hand book, and is very confusing...with Skoda Fabia models.... the Heater plug warning light flashes on the dash board....
Fault?  Nothing to do with the heater plugs.... it is a faulty brake light (bad earth on the bulb(s) or more likely it is a faulty brake switch under the brake pedal... replacement costs about £14 from the main dealer, and 15 minutes to fit... 
Problem solved...
Now... If I were to take it into a skoda dealership. they would charge me about £55 to put it on the OBD computer... and then the price of the switch and an hours labour.... total cost,over £100... !

Apparently Nissan have a 'loom' (I thought that was something to do with weaving) that will fix it for around £40 then there's the labour to do the job.
Someone has given details how to fix it myself but I'm not that competent with cars. Someone else said they fixed it just by squirting some WD40 on the relevant terminals. Maybe I'll give that a go tomorrow Cool

Community Veteran

A useful site Shutter, thank you.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
Posted my query and it seems that it's a well-known earthing issue.

In other words a loose connection / pin in a plug or socket. My SO's ford has a rear light cluster that plays up. You put your foot on the brake pedal while indicating a right turn and it speeds up to twice the speed and while the rear indicator turns on, the red brake and normal red lights dim down.
Cure? Piece of aluminium foil poked down into the loose terminal in the plug. Job done. It comes back every couple of months so I put another little bit of foil in there  Smiley
That reminds me.. the rear wiper is intermittent too..  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!