cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lord

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Lord

Perhaps it's just me but I would find it highly embarrassing if someone was to address me as Lord (insert name) rather than by my first name or just plain Mister.
I Know it's a television program for enterntainment purposes only but on the apprentice (for those who watch it) I cringe everytime they all address him as Lord Sugar.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Lord

YAY!... I agree..... however, things may not be what they seem.....
1.... He may have told the program makers to make sure the "contestants" used his title..... to a) put the fear of "god" (Lord) into them... b).. emphasize his own importance based on his origins as a carboot seller
2... The "contestants" may well be just "toadying up " to him.... to minimise his wrath, at their ineptitude for the given tasks.  Cheesy
Fixes: 125

How I wish someone would say 'Oi, Sugar, beet it' Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

"Oi, Sugar, Beet IT.your`e "sackedRoll eyes
phil4
Grafter

It's just. One of those things, some people are more poncy than others.
I worked on an estate owned by a lord and lady who insisted on being called as such.... It was there way of reminding us we were underlings... I just thought they were stuck up ****s
nadger
Rising Star

About 7 years ago I went to 75th anniversary of the founding of my grammar school.
The head was one of those teachers who'd received a knighthood and actually included Sir in his signature eg Sir Fred Bloggs.
Very bad taste, imho, and when I spoke with him I got round it by just calling him "headmaster".
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Wish I could call one of my old teachers from the 50's by his Christian name, at that time he was at the South East Tech Barking, then went to Thurock  as a head then my home town as head of the college still see him
his Christian name is Iorworth