cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like one plane doesn't wan't to retire

Fixes: 125

Looks like one plane doesn't wan't to retire

Now we're REALLY taking off! Unbelievable video shows strong winds lifting a parked jumbo jet into t...

It looks kinda spookie, don't you think Huh

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Looks like one plane doesn't wan't to retire

This may explain it::
This is an old 747 freighter in a scrapyard. It has been stripped of all equipment and engines. The removal of the engines has the effect of moving the Centre of Gravity rearwards. Freighters tend to be tail heavy anyway, which is why you often see a tail strut fitted while they are being loaded. This aircraft did not get airborne. The main wheels are on the ground at all times. The aircraft was probably parked with the tailplane in the 'nose up' position which caused the nose to lift in the strong wind. All you need is for the CofG to be close to the body gear (the rear pair of the four wheel bogies) and the nose is liable to lift.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2150253/Unbelievable-video-shows-strong-winds-lift-parked-ju...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Looks like one plane doesn't wan't to retire

Certainly does look a bit eerie. A couple of times it sways left and right a bit and one time I thought it was going to tip over onto its wing!
Disappointed it didn't loft off the ground though lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!