Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like Mook has left

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: Looks like Mook has left

Well Mook glad to see you're back and the fact that people are asking about you means you are respected on these forums.

Don't let some posts influence you is all I can say.
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

You can check out - but you can never leave! 😁

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Mook wrote:

Thank you all for the kind words, very much appreciated. But as you can see, like the proverbial bad penny I've returned!

To explain. I left the forum as it appeared to be stagnating and not well to be honest very interesting as it's not been as vibrant as it has in the past, so I thought I'd cut my losses and leave.

But here I am again, as I needed to post a question. Maybe I shouldn't have anonymised my account, but I did it to 'force' myself to stay away, but as you see that failed miserably.

Your post does raise a interesting indirect question......why do any of us stay ?
Clearly we must get something out of it.....I refer to just the chat section as clearly all the other sections have a clear use.

So can anyone answer that question ?

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,071

Gluttons for punishment I think!
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@gleneagles wrote:

..why do any of us stay ?
Clearly we must get something out of it.....I refer to just the chat section as clearly all the other sections have a clear use.

Been here for 10 years.... and enjoyed it most of the time.... made a few "on line" friends.... and upset a few as well.... but generally, its because I know that I will get help and advice from some very knowledgable people, and pass on my small knowledge if, and when, I feel I can.

I reckon this forum,(  tech help, and general chat, ) has saved me a fortune over the years, in cash... and the experience I have gained from the knowledge imparted by others, ( even if not directly to me ) has been invaluable to me enjoying the internet and what it can provide by way of goods, services, and entertainment.

So, I think I`ll be sticking around for a while...... better get used to the idea ! !  Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Good to see you back @Mook ! Don't go being silly and leave again lol.

@gleneagles wrote:

Your post does raise a interesting indirect question......why do any of us stay ?

I've mulled over leaving several times over the years when having spats with some other members characteristic of bullies. Several times i did go away for a short period but then came back when i realised i'd let myself get pushed about. The last time that happened did something to me.. I decided the longer i stayed the more it would annoy the other member and so that was enough for me - lifetime membership lol. Glad to say the other member has since moved on from me and is now a very minor disturbance.

It hasn't been an easy ride fitting in here though, some of the old-skoolers were a bit hard to please for many years and it was only when i started talking about the railways a lot and about how frustrating the science / engineering sectors are politically in this country that i noticed a lot of the old skool and newbs seemed to click with me. Thankfully railways seem to be making their full circle return now - i was just reading today that darlington council wants to create a new railway attraction..

I think by instinct though because you are "with" plusnet it gives you a "home forum" feeling. Any other forum out there on the internet you can join and leave but this is your ISP - a place where you pay money to be served with internet access and have the ISP in common with other members. I've left several forums over the years (with one i typed a random string of letters / numbers and copied / pasted it into the change password box after changing my email to ensure i'd never go back). I can't really bring myself to leave the plusnet forum now.. though i suspect in years to come as BT slowly increases it's stranglehold on PN the forum may vanish..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Same here @7up, left a couple of times after locking horns with posters who for reasons of their own justified or otherwise, take a dislike to you and become real pests

Deep breath, some self imposed isolation, and return when the dust has settled. 

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

@7up   i was just reading today that darlington council wants to create a new railway attraction..

In Darlington there is the Head Of Steam museum and next to the museum the Hopetown works that is leased by the A1 Steam Trust at which the Tornado steamtrain was built and where the Prince Of Wales P2 locamotive is currently being built. I am a supporter of the trust and at the annual meeting the plans you mentioned were presented. They include a larger museum , new works for the A1 and a rail connection to the main line. If you want to look at the P2 being built there is an open day every month if you live in the area...more details on the A1 website. Hopefully if the funds are available the plans will come to fruition.

I Know this is off topic but I thought 7up may be interested. Cool