cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new kettle, reminded me of a previous thread

TORPC
Grafter

Looking for a new kettle, reminded me of a previous thread

[quote= http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,128944.msg1121773.html#msg1121773]« Reply #81 on July 08, 2014, 19:26:51 »
Is there no end to your 'knowledge'?
<snip>
As for kettles etc running off DC - Baloney!
[quote= http://www.amazon.com/ATR-Smart-12V-water-Kettle/dp/B006E9OXDG]Take any 12V DC power with correct adaptors; standard come with a Car Cigarette lighter Adaptor
Aluminum base, Can be attached to the Car.
Great for Cars, Trucks, RV Boat with 12Volt output.
Takes average 25-35 minutes to cook a pot of hot water.
Capacity: 700mL ; Approx. 23OZ
Conclusion Kettles are both made for DC & AC
12 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Looking for a new kettle, reminded me of a previous thread

if your seriously shopping for a new kettle do your self a favour and grab an eco one, there normally made to a higher standard and as such last longer than most modern electric kettles,
also in reference to the other thread it was in there somewhere that the resistor in the kettle doesn't care if you give it ac or dc just the number of watts to make it work  Wink
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

The kettle is for the mother-in-law, who will not admit hers is just as old as her, oops did I just say that out loud Tongue
Seriously though, she has had hers for a few years & it is in need of some tlc, so SWMBO suggested we buy her a new kettle, to which I agree
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: TORPC

Conclusion Kettles are both made for DC & AC

Correct, any purely resistive electrical device (typically any purely 'heating' appliance will not care whether it is supplied with AC or DC BUT the Voltage makes a huge difference to how much heat they produce.  Assuming the resistance of the heating element is constant the heat produced is proportional to the square of the Voltage.  Operating a 230V 2000W kettle, for example on 12V DC would change the 2kW appliance into a 5.4W 'slow warmer' (you'd be just as quick trying to warm your water using the heat off a side-light bulb).  On the other hand, if you try to connect a 12V kettle to 230V mains and it'll produce so much heat that it will almost certainly blow its element in well under a second.
Kettles, like many things nowadays, are often made very cheaply though 'brand-name' ones are often overpriced.  It's worth comparing a few if you can find a shop with them unboxed on display.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
TORPC
Grafter

You mean like these from Asda

As the only serve one purpose, I never see the point of paying more than £15 -£20 for a kettle
Something like one of these should do her from Asda

Linky
http://direct.asda.com/george/home/Kettles/D24M12G01C11,default,sc.html#http://direct.asda.com/georg...
nanotm
Pro

if your buying them cheap from asda make sure to keep the receipts, the last 4 we had off them all died in under a year
TORPC
Grafter

The Duraband one we are using is over 3 years old from Asda cost £5 no issue(s)
Kept clear of scale by regular use of OUST descaler
However will bear that in mind Wink
nanotm
Pro

meh the last 2 eco kettles we've had have both been freebies, one from southern electric about 8 years ago and one from Kenco rewards, if this second one lasts as long as then it will be fantastic value for money Smiley
myredhotcar
Grafter

I paid £12 for a kettle from Asda in 2006 and it's still working (albeit boiling slower and more noisily than when I first got it). It has been used for 2 full kettles of water each day for washing up plus my coffee. In terms of appearance it is closest to the one bottom right in TORPC's image. The only visible difference is the lid. The model number is KE7059B.
YMMV though.
Edit: if overfilled water will leak out of the top once at rolling boil and will temporarily short the kettle. Also, the light no longer works.
nanotm
Pro

it seems like with many things these days its pot luck if you get one that lasts or not, I had a router a few years ago that died after 3 months, rma'd it and got an apology letter explaining that it was from a Friday afternoon batch produced after the QA staff had knocked off.......fair doo's they gave me another one and a check for £50 to say sorry for the inconvenience, that second one lasted 6 or 7 years so when it died I bought a newer model off the same company, wish I'd kept the letter to be honest it was pure class to admit the problems of the factory  Wink
similarly though with other low price goods, the best toaster I ever had cost under ten quid and survived nearly 10 years before it stopped working, 11 replacements in 4 months later I just gave up trying to find one that would work more than 3 times before blowing fuses (and I bought pretty much every price point of toaster right up to the ridiculous £80 range during that period) shame really as I quite like a slice of toast.....
but with kettles the worst one ever had to be the tefal "one cup" a pain to refill so loud it caused headaches if you stayed in the same room and then died after a week ( which was why southern electric gave us an eco kettle and a full refund to boot when it went back)  to be fair though I guess the main problem with kettles over the years has to have been the amount they get used, we probably make upwards of 20 brews a day and only replace them when they either stop working or start leaking, so perhaps we have just been unlucky with some of them....
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I have a humming kettle (harmonica type sound instead of a whistle) for use on a gas hob which if I recall correctly cost around £35 30 years ago. It is still functioning perfectly though looking a little worse for wear.
I bought a couple of cheap whistling kettles  (c£15?) for myself and my mother from Argos and BHS a short while ago.  They looked the part but the lacquer began to came off quickly and they soon looked awful. The rubber covering the handles and whistle levers crept and eventually split which would have meant risk of burns if continued use.
My mother's John Lewis's own brand (c£40) stops whistling every month or so as the screw inside the whistle works loose and needs adjusting / tightening. Sometimes when the kettle comes to the boil the whistle shoots off entirely!
My Le Creuset (£60) one looks good but is heavy and less well designed than my original kettle. The whistle lever is by the whistle so one has to take care not to scald oneself and it can only be filled through the lid. My old kettle has a lever built into the handle to raise the whistle and can be refilled through the spout.
Verdict: Hob kettles are becoming harder and harder to find. (I was told in store that many people weren't even buying electric kettles now preferring to use a pan or heating water in a microwave.) Those that are still on sale are cheap and short lived or expensive and not as well designed as good quality ones of yesteryear. However I think that the latter will outlive electric kettles by many years.
myredhotcar
Grafter

Le Creuset stuff is usually excellent, their saucepans last a lifetime.
Microwaves are iffy for boiling water as they will happily superheat it. I learned this the hard way.
TORPC
Grafter

OMG
Well spotted